Nightmare with colorFabb nGen filament

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Allan Sche Sar

Nightmare with colorFabb nGen filament

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 am

He,

I have with colorFabb nGen a "little" problem. Most time it is a good material, but since yesterday a nightmare.
In the pictures your can see my last print (after the problem at layer 2). I have on my N1 a clogging. The extruder makes the characteristic noises.
My first idea was, that my retraction settings are not correct, because the problems a present with retraction, when I print many small parts.

But in this case a have not this situation, but anyway the problems with clogging.

I print more than 1,5 kg in this material and more then 98 % of the prints are without problems.

Anyone a idea what is the problem?

My print settings are:
  • nozzle temperatur 230 °C (test with +- 5 °C)
  • bead temperatur 45 °C
  • test with and without acrylic cover
  • printing speed (most time 45 mm/s - since 3 weeks tests with 40 mm/s
  • retraction 1,5 mm with 10 mm/s
  • No bondtech extruder (I need my dual nozzle set up)

I have to print many U-brackets. At the moment I test with only one U-bracket. The clogging starts at 5 mm or 1 mm before end or in the middle of the high. The clogging is random :(

jetdillo

Re: Nightmare with colorFabb nGen filament

Postby jetdillo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Allan Sche Sar wrote:He,

I have with colorFabb nGen a "little" problem. Most time it is a good material, but since yesterday a nightmare.
In the pictures your can see my last print (after the problem at layer 2). I have on my N1 a clogging. The extruder makes the characteristic noises.
My first idea was, that my retraction settings are not correct, because the problems a present with retraction, when I print many small parts.

But in this case a have not this situation, but anyway the problems with clogging.

I print more than 1,5 kg in this material and more then 98 % of the prints are without problems.

Anyone a idea what is the problem?

nGen can be a bit finicky at times. 230 might be a bit on the low side temperature-wise.
My nGen settings are 240 nozzle temp, 80C bed.
The pictures you mentioned are not attached to your post. Can you try adding them again ?
I had some consistent problems printing a part last year for one of our robots using nGen.
In addition to the bottom solid layers, there was a tight lattice-work at the bottom and top that the nozzle seemed to clog on constantly.
To make a long story short, I discovered the "Z-Hop" setting that retracted the bed a bit as the head traversed the length of the part and that fixed it. So maybe you could try experimenting with Z-Hop in your slicer ?

Allan Sche Sar

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Ohh sorry my mistake. Know you can find in the annex the pictures.
I print this part 4 times. No run finished successful. Each run has a different clogging hight.

With Z-Hop you mean the bed high, that they go down, when the nozzle moved?
I make a variation between 0,3 and 1 mm, but no change.
Problem comes not in the traveling time (see annex).
Attachments
IMG_20180416_212557474.jpg
IMG_20180416_212547265.jpg

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm

Allan Sche Sar wrote:Ohh sorry my mistake. Know you can find in the annex the pictures.
I print this part 4 times. No run finished successful. Each run has a different clogging hight.

With Z-Hop you mean the bed high, that they go down, when the nozzle moved?
I make a variation between 0,3 and 1 mm, but no change.
Problem comes not in the traveling time (see annex).

Yes, the purpose of Z-Hop is that the bed lowers a set amount during a retraction move, the head moves over the part w/ out touching it, then the bed raise back up when its ready to start printing again.
Have you tried increasing the temperature ?

I looked at the pictures. At this point, it's possible that that there is something stuck in the nozzle and you will need to clean that out because it might be affecting the flow of filament.
Use a piano-wire or the nozzle-cleaner that came with the printer to clean out the nozzle first and then try a higher temperature for the filament, then try raising the print temperature.

Is this the first thing you've tried printing with nGen ?
Have you tried printing one of the small calibration cubes first ?---Just to make sure that you have the temperature of the nozzle and buildplate right for the material ?

Return to “Printing Settings”