Rough on only one side of Model

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DanH

Rough on only one side of Model

Postby DanH » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

So I have recently got my N2 printer and starting trying out some test prints. I first tried a 20 mm test cube sourced from thingiverse and found the right hand side face to be so rough compared to the other faces.
The left hand side is great compared.
I found the same when I then tried a Benchy, the front of the boat (on the RHS of my plate) came out very rough.
It looks like when printing, that the nozzle is pushing into the previous layer slightly, but only on the RHS side of the model.

I first thought it could be down to uneven cooling, as I am printing using only the left nozzle and both fans never really blow down over the right hand side of the model when printing the 20mm cube (Not so much the case on the benchy however).

To test this I have added additional cooling through the front door, no improvement.

I have tried blocking both cooling fans and only using the external cooling in case it was still uneven cooling, no improvement.

I have tried printing at lower temperatures, checking the bed leveling and printing on a separate glass plate

I can't think of any other reasons that could cause it, if it was over extrusion then surely the rest of the model would be affected the same as the RH face? Same for distance from the nozzle to the bed.

Any thoughts?

I'm starting to drown in cubes, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ru4mC

Cube link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34553

detroitus

Re: Rough on only one side of Model

Postby detroitus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm

That looks more like a retraction issue than it does a problem with cooling. What do you have in place under your retraction settings?

DanH

Postby DanH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks Detroitus,

I have managed to find the reason, switching to using the right nozzle fixed the problem, so I guess the nozzle was damaged and so probably wasn't placing it down correctly. It makes sense as I had quite a badly failed print before where the plate was pushed out the door.

I now have it working great on 0.3 and 0.2mm layer heights, however there seems to be a overheating(?) issue on 0.1mm

Again this seems to just be on the one side, the side that the fans never really cover (because of the size of the model).

I have tried it on 205 and 195, I am going to try again with extra cooling to see if that fixes the problem.

I'll post the results on here.

Cheers

DanH

Postby DanH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 am

Solved it,

When printing using the RH nozzle the left heated up to 205 also, the heat radiation from that was causing some melting on the left hand side of the model.

I set the temperature to 0 C in the advanced > cooling and that solved it.

Finally got that great cube!

https://imgur.com/a/uUWNx

Return to “Printing Settings”