Part Shifting

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
wo4sunhao

Part Shifting

Postby wo4sunhao » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Hey guys I just got a shifting problem on my machine.
I printed almost hundreds of different kind parts already. Most time the parts are good, but it always has one shifting parts in my prints.
The shifting parts occurs really randomly like ghost. It even happened to the same part.
i.e. I just print a part. It is good and when i reprint it get shifted. Also, i just print a bad part with shifting, but when i reprint it is good again.
I did not change any setting, and I use totally same print bed and glue stick.
This is really bothering me. Could anyone give me any kind advices?

Sorry forget to say what the shifting looks like. It is a single shift. It just looks like the printer move the whole part in one direction at certain layer.

Jetguy

Re: Part Shifting

Postby Jetguy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:36 pm

I realize you may have frustration and a learning curve, and there is a reason why this question went unanswered last night.

It simply comes down to details or lack of.
There are a million things that could cause shifting. Just because one time the file printed fine, the next time shifted- that doesn't mean the machine went bad or there is a mechanical problem. It could be simply that you printed one in the morning, one in the later afternoon, the temp of the room changed just enough the print warped and bam- you have a skipped step.

If you want help you have to provide effort and details. Yes, I know that seems absolutely frustrating when you are already angry and confused, but think of us trying to take time out of our day, our projects, our printing to stop everything and help you.
So again, basic thing is provide detailed pictures of the failure, in the hope that we can point you at something more tangible as actual help rather than guessing. Heck you failed to even tell us plastic type, the temperatures, what other setup details (cooling fan ducts, dual or single extruder, lid on or off). You only said this:
I did not change any setting, and I use totally same print bed and glue stick.

I don't even know what glue stick or why you are using it VS the standard Buildtack. Are you printing ABS or other high warp materials? What is the ambient temp?
Did you preheat before trying to print?

The first thing to understand is the printer is open loop controlled stepper motors and what that means is there is no position feedback or correction. It's a giant multi hour long, million lines of commands, game of Simon says. The controller tells the motors to move and provide nothing stops them they move a certain step count or distance. The next move depends on the previous move being completed. Again, no feedback, so one skipped step and everything is shifted. There are a million reason a skipped step can happen, far too many to list. The basic categories include mechanical friction (alignment and lube issues of the mechanics), broken mechanics (the motor to shaft coupler or a pulley loose on a shaft), nozzle striking the printed layer (this is the one with so many causes it's hard to list), and last and least likely (electrical issues).

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi,
I although have an problem with layer shifting.
The printer stops moving along the y-Axis for a few seconds but still extrudes. And after letting the printer make another layer it’s an layer shifting of about 5-7cm. I had an quite similar problem with the y-Axis about an year ago in fact of an bad stepper. Tho I plugged in a completely new. Still the same problem. Although the y-Axis endstop had been pushed to the motion rail. Tho I although changed that one. The shifting appears on different files with different print settings. But the extruder moves smoothly on the y-Axis and although can be moved along her really easily. Thanks for your time and your suggestions, in advance.
Sincerely,
Gamemaker
P.s. an picture of the first layer (from the support) included
Attachments
C2FCDF81-8EC4-4198-A29D-C5807B1591F6.jpeg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:19 am

If the shifting always focus on one direction, it might be related to stepper driver. I would recommend to swap the X and Y directions to see whether the issue changes direction.
Shoot us a support ticket to get more information from Tech Experts: help.raise3d.com.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 am

But like i’v Mentioned, the stepper driver is an complete new one and the voltage of the stepper had bin calibrated to 0,9V. Could it be an defect of the stepper socket of the rumba board?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

gamemaker wrote:But like i’v Mentioned, the stepper driver is an complete new one and the voltage of the stepper had bin calibrated to 0,9V. Could it be an defect of the stepper socket of the rumba board?

Recap:
The basic categories include mechanical friction (alignment and lube issues of the mechanics), broken mechanics (the motor to shaft coupler or a pulley loose on a shaft), nozzle striking the printed layer (this is the one with so many causes it's hard to list), and last and least likely (electrical issues).

You've not mentioned if you checked for this " broken mechanics (the motor to shaft coupler)"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1206&p=10965&hilit=broken+coupler#p10956
IMG_20161017_234715_s.jpg

20161217_190615.jpg

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi,
Thank you very much. I’v totally forgotten to control this thing.
Attachments
A7BD3F15-DA79-4527-82A6-1FCE22B96DE8.jpeg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Shoot us a support ticket. We will prepare replacement part and instruction guide for you.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks,
I will make one. But could you post the replacement instructions here too?
Sincerely,
Gamemaker

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:59 pm

gamemaker wrote:Thanks,
I will make one. But could you post the replacement instructions here too?
Sincerely,
Gamemaker

Until they send you something:
Coupler broken removal.jpg

Coupler broken install instruction.jpg

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks I’ll take it apart, to make the machine running as fast as possible. Sincerely,
Gamemaker

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am

Shoot us a support ticket. Our technicians will help you go through the replacing steps.

gamemaker

Postby gamemaker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 am

Hi Vicky,
Made my ticket yesterday Nr.:3026 :D.
Have a nice weekend,
Gamemaker

Return to “Printing Settings”