Filament Chewing during dual extruder prints

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jetdillo

Filament Chewing during dual extruder prints

Postby jetdillo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 pm

I'm experiencing some consistent filament chewing when doing dual-extruder prints.
Both nozzles print fine for multiple hours individually, but when I try to do even a simple print that uses a separate extruder for support or for a different color, one of them will start chewing at the filament and eventually I hear the dreaded "click-click-click". I can pre-load/unload and then reload(after trimming away the chewed bit) w/ out a problem and then run that extruder through a single print again w/ out a problem.

I'm using Ideamaker and have the extruder-switch retraction settings set to 20mm/sec retraction speed w/ 2.0mm total retraction. It was 3.5, which seemed a bit high, so I turned it down a bit to see if that would help and it hasn't. I was hoping somebody here might share their settings of what works for them. I'm using Hatchbox PLA, printing at 200C, in the left extruder and PolySupport w/ a printing temp of 235C, in the right one. The left one w/ the PLA is the one that usually chews on the filament.

jetdillo

Re: Filament Chewing during dual extruder prints

Postby jetdillo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 pm

I've pretty much bailed on the current model I was trying(Hilbert cube). I'm now thinking it's bad G-Code being generated or something.
Fresh off printing this with no problems:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2741800
The left extruder starts clicking and barely gets a skirt out before completely jamming up when trying to print the Hilbert-space Cube.

I did get this dual-color alignment arrow to print:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:482530

This is the object that's been giving me such trouble:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16343

I will probably try a different model now. I was just looking for a simple demo to test out and iterate over to dial in my settings for PolySupport before sending the printer off on a "flight to Australia" to print out some real parts.

jetdillo

Re: Filament Chewing during dual extruder prints

Postby jetdillo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:28 am

I managed to get some dual-color PLA 20mm cubes to print last night:
20180408_215023.jpg

I'm still stuck on getting PLA/PolySupport to work though.
The Polysupport runs fine, but the PLA side just starts clicking pretty much from the start. After the extruder-switch, I might get one PLA layer out of it before it switches back and then just "click click click" when it come back to the PLA.

When I go to unload though to recover from yet-another-chewing, it pre-loads fine, even for a good 30-40mm, and unloads fine. There are treads/tracks from the Bondtech gripping the filament, but no chew marks, no carve-outs. I can reload the same filament and launch another single-extruder job from the same extruder and it chugs away happily to completion hours later.

Nozzle Temps:
Left: 210 C (PLA from Hatchbox)
Right: 240 (Based off Julia's postings a while back)

extruder-switch retraction is set to 30mm/sec speed and 2mm filament.

What am I missing here ?

Return to “Printing Settings”