ABS warping

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Corrado

ABS warping

Postby Corrado » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I know this is very common problem but I tried every suggestion found on the Internet without success.
I have problems in particular with objects of "big" dimensions like the box of 15x15x2,5 cm of the following pictures.

I'm not able to complete the printing because of the warping (I have N2 plus).

Here is my configuration:
- Default "Speed - N2Plus - ABS" profile (but I tried also Standard and High quality)
- Extruder temperature 100°C
- Bed temperature 240°C
- infill 10%
- Shells 2
- brim only (20 loops, thinking this high value could help)
- top cover on
- fan cover on
- Buildtak

This was the first try:
6.JPG

I restarted the printing ... this is after few layers:
1.JPG

I decided to place some kapton all around thinking it could help:
2.JPG

No way ... the brim broke!
3.JPG

And this was the top layer just before I stopped the printing once again:
4.JPG

Please give me some help!

Thanks

EldRick

Re: ABS warping

Postby EldRick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm

I print a similar part - 20cm X 10cm X 5mm. Same issue with corners lifting. It gave me fits using Buildtak. Didn't stick at all well.

In my experience ABS didn't stick worth a darn to Buildtak, no matter what I did with temps and speeds - the ABS shrinks too much as it cools to stick to the mediocre adhesion of the Buildtak.

I finally ended up using Ultem/PEI for the printbed (90% successful prints). I used a scotchbrite pad to scuff up the surface for a little extra adhesion. Second most successful method was gluestick on glass.
Last edited by EldRick on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 pm

PEI is my go-to surface for ABS.
I use an orbital sander with 1500 grit paper to buff the surface. Adds just enough additional bite.
with abs you need to be careful not to over-squeeze the first layer or you may damage the part when removing. It can stick that good.

bigrob007

Postby bigrob007 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 am

I'm trying to figure this out right now with a print of mine. I've read before that build plate surface temp can vary from the probe temp by a not insignificant amount. I'm trying on a raft right now with abs at a bed temp of 110. I also preheated the bed for about five minutes before starting the print with the cover on door closed and fan plates in place. it's on layer 6 now which is the second layer of my part. no curling yet *fingers crossed.* with bed temp set at 100 it usually started curling on layer 4 so maybe, hopefully I'm heading in the right direction with my thinking.

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:38 pm

EldRick wrote:I print a similar part - 20cm X 10cm X 5mm. Same issue with corners lifting. It gave me fits using Buildtak. Didn't stick at all well.

In my experience ABS didn't stick worth a darn to Buildtak, no matter what I did with temps and speeds - the ABS shrinks too much as it cools to stick to the mediocre adhesion of the Buildtak.

I finally ended up using Ultem/PEI for the printbed (90% successful prints). I used a scotchbrite pad to scuff up the surface for a little extra adhesion. Second most successful method was gluestick on glass.

Thanks for your suggestion .. I will certainly give it a try!

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:14 pm

You can try gluestick on glass by flipping the buildplate over, glass-side up. You shouldn't even need to change the buildplate height.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 pm

I use the buildtak brand surface that comes with the printer. I glue stick it like crazy. With RAFT I have zero issues with adhesion Inland (brand) or Raise ABS.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

bigrob007

Postby bigrob007 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 am

what i did the other day worked. before printing i cleaned the buildtack with windex. i set the bed temp to 110. print temp was 240. i let the bed heat up and sit for 10 minutes before starting the print. printed on a raft.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 am

Once you try PEI, you'll never look back. Just sayin'.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 am

Once you try PEI, you'll never look back.

And you don't need to rinse gluestick off the bottom of the print.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 pm

1 of the main things with ABS is to install the caps on the bottom of the fans to block the layer portion of the cooling. heat build plate up with the printer enclosed for about 10 min before printing. i normally then put a block under the lid to prop it open about 2 inches. I use 200 mm wide Kapton tape on glass, then use an ABS slurry (mixture of ABS and acetone). I don't fight curling on 95% of my prints. the 5% is normally because i get lazy and i try to get to many prints on the Kapton tape and the adhesive gives out.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Rogman wrote:i normally then put a block under the lid to prop it open about 2 inches.

I offered a model of a printable cover stand in this thread: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6173
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm

I normally add small cylinder stl file to any sharp corners, this will help anchor the model down to the platform but you will need to print with raft. Just like the other people suggested before preheat the bed for at least 10-15min and use elmer's washable glue (purple glue stick)

Try rotating the model where there will be less printing area on the platform. Typically printing a model with a wide base will have warping issue especially if you have sharp corners and then there is also shrinkage issue as well using ABS.

You can also try a different type of material such as PETG if none these suggestions works out for you.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Deepspaceobject

Postby Deepspaceobject » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi guys, ABS is always a problem, however I have only just bought my first N1, on my previous RepRapPro printer I hardly ever had a problem when printing ABS, I think because I used EZ-STIK from GeckoTeK, it is way better than buildtak. I shall change to EZ-STIK on my new printer.

https://www.geckotek.co

Brian

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Switch to PEI. And print a test to check that you have the same distance to the bed in the corners as in the middle.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Maybe trying ABS+.
The problem here is buying normal ABS and keeping the Buildtak.
I have no warping and good results with larges prints. Combined with a "LokBuild" or "Geckotek EZ-Stik Hot 3D Printer Build Surface".
In the past, I tried many times with a lot of bed surface types, normal ABS or ASA filaments. It is always warping. So, I will not buy normal ABS filament again. Otherwise, for small parts it is ok.

Luc

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Has anyone thought to turn off the heated bed at a certain point to stop warping?
-SCC

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue May 01, 2018 4:27 pm

That would simply give more warping. It's the cooling and shrinkage that causes the issue.
I print about 95% ABS. On PEI adhesion is not an issue even for large parts.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm

EldRick wrote:That would simply give more warping. It's the cooling and shrinkage that causes the issue.
I print about 95% ABS. On PEI adhesion is not an issue even for large parts.

I know I print a little unorthodox for ABS.

I use gluestick on buildtak. I use raft when a nice flat surface is required. No prints have caused me issue with warping for the way I print successfully with ABS until a recent print. Bed is 110°C. Extrusion is 240°C. Fully closed N2.

After 35 hours the edges of my raft started lifting. 35 hours! on all four corners. The bed is heated still. It was a fifty hour print. I ask because at the point that warping would occur on the bottom, there is really no purpose for the bed to be heated, No?
-SCC

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 pm

I had an idea yesterday of anti warping infill. It should be possible to make the infill have a shape that prevents and counteracts warping. More infill in certain places. Different structures. Or internal bracing. (You know were you read it first. ;).

Return to “Printing Settings”