What to do about edge curl?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Noren

What to do about edge curl?

Postby Noren » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

I would say that my N1 prints fine for the most parts. But I’m trying to print Devon Montes chain mail. Hundreds of small parts. The first layers start fine. But after a while the small parts start to get edge curl. And the nozzle hits the small parts and they breake away.
PLA is what I’m using. Tried printing slow. Tried both warmer and colder on both nozzle and bed.

But exactly what settings does cause edge curl?
Or what steps could I take to minimise it?

Other people and printers can print this.
I have insulated my hotends as well.

Noren

Re: What to do about edge curl?

Postby Noren » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

This is how the print looks.
(I also would like to say that I have tried using zhop. But that actually made it worse. Because when zhop is activated at the end of each small piece. It creates a small upwards protution of filament. And it hits that next time it passes).
042FB909-CF78-4926-BDC7-B3D9676976CD.jpeg
[attachment=0]4E292E0C-22B2-4FEE-B328-
Attachments
4E292E0C-22B2-4FEE-B328-BEF7170F430D.jpeg

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Besides hotend insulation, model cooling can help with this. The picture doesn't show the whole hotend, but it looks like you're using the stock axial fans (dual extruder?) with the covers removed. I've found that this is not sufficient cooling for best results with PLA. A blower fan with a duct that is directly blowing a jet or 'blade' of air directly under the nozzle is ideal.

There's a few designs on Thingiverse for blower fan mods for the N2. Might be worth looking into.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Anubis wrote:Besides hotend insulation, model cooling can help with this. The picture doesn't show the whole hotend, but it looks like you're using the stock axial fans (dual extruder?) with the covers removed. I've found that this is not sufficient cooling for best results with PLA. A blower fan with a duct that is directly blowing a jet or 'blade' of air directly under the nozzle is ideal.

There's a few designs on Thingiverse for blower fan mods for the N2. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip. Yes. Stock Dual N1.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 pm

1) You can't get too much cooling when printing PLA. It needs to cool as fast as possible, to avoid shrinking away from unsupported edges. Insulating the hot-end is a good start, but you still need more cooling air than the stock fan/duct can provide. Keep in mind that the fan is taking in fairly hot air, so you need lots of it to cool much.

2) Print a dedicated fan duct and hook up a separately-controllable part-cooling fan. (I'm assuming that the N1 uses the same printhead electronics as the N2, with an available socket for a gcode-controllable fan)

3) Keep the printbed and extruder temps as low as you can, and just to be sure, you are running without the top cover, right?

4) And one more thought - you would have far fewer failed prints by using one-at-a-time mode - one piece prints completely, then print the next one completely, etc. Cura/Slic3r/S3D all offer a sequential mode, which is much better for lots of pieces, because if one piece fails or comes loose, those already done are OK. It's also faster than interleaved printing, because you don't waste time thrashing around between pieces. The down side is you need more cooling, because there is no wait time between layers - see 2) above.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 pm

I would agree with almost everything EldRick said except for the last part. Rick, it seems you missed the part where this is a chain-mail print, making one part at a time is not exactly an option!

To put it simply, increase cooling by any means for PLA, reduced heating temps top cover off and front door open ect. after that you may need to play with retraction and jerk a bit.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Return to “Printing Settings”