PETG stringing

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Shane

PETG stringing

Postby Shane » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi, my PETG prints - when they complete - generally look OK, but some strings are occurring and I can see some blobs on print surface which I'd liek to avoid.

Please can anyone advice on print settings, for ooze etc. I'm using Raise3D PETG standard profile

many thanks
Attachments
20180108_200258.jpg
but generally the exterior surfaces are fine.
20180108_200245.jpg
and on the other
20180108_200240.jpg
some strings on one corner

CUKIO34

Re: PETG stringing

Postby CUKIO34 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 am

can you post your PETG profile.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

PETG won't tolerate any over-extrusion. I print a vase-mode cube to calibrate my extrusion multiplier, and deduct 5% from the nominal. I don't use any z-hop and I have travels "avoid crossing outline" (S3D). I'm guessing the Ideamaker equivalent is "Avoid Traveling Through Holes" on the OTHER tab. That way XY travels keep the nozzle tip clean by dragging across the build and doesn't dab any ooze when crossing the perimeter. No Z-Hop can leave drag marks on the top solid-infill layer, but that doesn't bother me. I'd rather have a clean part.

ABH

Postby ABH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:30 am

You need a high retraction setting to avoid stringing with PETG. I don't know what Raise3D PETG standard profile says, but I used 3-4 mm with Simplify3D. In my opinion PETG is much overrated. It is not a material you should use, if you need optimal finish of your model.

Targo

Postby Targo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Try this profile viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5556. Retract is the crucial parameter and may decrease the flow rate.

Raess

Postby Raess » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am

I am also starting to print with PETG. I am using PrimaSelect PETG. The Specs that are found on the Filament is 195-235˚C and heatbed to 45-60 ˚C .

So I started using the standard profile for PETG from ideamaker. However, I changed the heatbed to 75˚C and Extruder temp to 225˚C .

I First started of printing a test cube with the same Z-offset that I was using on PLA (Z - 0.15). But that did not work at all. To much boobs & Zits and the strings was interfering from the next layer causing the strings releasing from the bed.

Now I have tried Z-offset (0.00) and (-0.025) and it works with no boobs & Zits and zero stringing.

So my settings are
Standard profile FAST PETG idea maker with the following mods
Extruder temp 225˚C
heatbed 75˚C
layer .25

My problem now is that I found my models not sticking hard enough to the bed. Any suggestions on this?
Should I go a little bit closer on the Z-Height? or should I Change some other settings? I need it to stick better when printing bigger prints.

here is my prints: what do you think?
IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg
Last edited by Raess on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the construction of the Valify robot lawnmower [http://valify.se]

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am

I have not tried printing PETG on the Buildtak. I use a PEI build surface for PETG. I have also used Kapton film with good results. I run my build platform at 80C.

Nozzle temp settings vary with the brand/color of filament I am running. I print vase-mode cubes at different temperatures to find the point where i'm getting good layer bonding - where I can't split the cube walls by flexing them. For eSUN Black I run at 240C. With Hatchbox black I run at 255C. Going higher with the eSUN makes for a brittle part. Going lower with the Hatchbox doesn't get the layer bonding so you'll need to experiment with the particular filament to find the best settings. I haven't dialed in any other colors on the N2 yet. I mostly print black.

If you're going for best surface quality, I found that's another benefit of the Bondtech extruder upgrade. I don't know if it's the drive gear design or the step count setting (or both) that is the critical factor, but the surface finish with the Bondtech is much better than with the factory extruder drive.

Raess

Postby Raess » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

So I just tried some more settings for the PETG.

Z-offset (bltouch) varies from 0.00 to -0.125

I am now running 230C and 70C. at Z-offset -0.125 the part sticks better two the surface and no stringing occurs.
I see some super small zits.
I want it to stick to the bed a little bit harder and first layer is not perfect.

Here is the first layer without raft. Should i maybe try to go a bit lower on the Z?
IMG_1781.jpg
Follow the construction of the Valify robot lawnmower [http://valify.se]

Return to “Printing Settings”