Has Anyone successfully printed PVA with an N2?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
mhayduk

Has Anyone successfully printed PVA with an N2?

Postby mhayduk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:56 am

I have tried multiple PVA's and Scaffold by E3D and they all have the same problem. I can print the material just fine on it's own, but as soona s it sits in the extruder for any length of time at any retraction setting...etc...etc...mNY Mny tries. IT JAMS.
If any one has successfully printed with PVA, please share the brand and your settings. One of the reasons we bought this printer is that it advertised printing PVA, and at this pint I need to see it to believe it! Thanks in advance.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Has Anyone successfully printed PVA with an N2?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:05 pm

We have tested some before. Attached the link for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=960&p=9040

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm

I did have nothing but trouble with PVA as well.
But I just tried one brand and I know some people had success with PVA on the N2.

I switched to Verbatims's BVOH as soluble support material and did have much much better results!

It prints quite nicely with PLA and I even got it to work with ABS.

In general, when using soluble support, this worked for me:
- set the advanced options for the support:
> Horizontal Offset: 0.00mm
> Vertical Offset Top & Down Layers: 0
> Solid Base Layers: 1 (or more)
> use Dense Support Layers (4 is a good point to start with)
> consider Dense Support Infill Ratio of 100%
- set the advanced options for the right extruder (considered you have your support material in that one):
> enable right Extruder Configuration
> set Retraction Material Amount to 4.0 mm (for a 0.4 mm nozzle)
> consider using Z-hop to prevent hits to your print. 0.08mm should do it

Especially for ABS & BVOH, I found that it helps to print at higher temperatures.
At lower temperatures ABS and BVOH do not really stick together too well.
So for Raise3D ABS with BVOH I use 250°C for the ABS and 220°C for the BVOH.
Remark:
When you print at higher temperatures it makes sense to increase print speed a little bit.
But that in contrast might be counter-productive for ABS and BVOH to stick together.
So you may would want to experiment with the speed.

Attached you'll find a profile for the N2 with ABS (left nozzle) and BVOH (right nozzle) that works for me.
Standard - N2 - ABS-BVOH.bin.zip
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

(this is "fast", may tune down speeds if needed)

Good luck!

P.S.:
Even if your printer is in perfect condition you will have to be patient and learn how different materials,
print objects, print bed surfaces, and much more impact the result.
3D-Printing as of today is not as easy as putting paper in a laser printer and sending a file to it.
It is still a technology under development and we can expect much to happen in the next years.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

mhayduk

Postby mhayduk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:20 am

Vicky, thanks for the link to that thread, doesn't sound like much luck there either. However, I am not have adherence issues. I'm using PVA Maxx from Leapfrog, a couple of different variations, and have also tried Scaffold from E3D. All of them printed well and aheared to the Buildtak just fine. I would print the raft out of the support material and the first couple of layers of the PLA would also print and adhere reasonably well. unknown if it would hold for the life of the print? Because, when the support material nozzle returns to print on the the 3rd or 4th iteration, the nozzle just jams!? I have tried countless retraction and temperature settings, some a little better than others, meaning I might get a couple more nozzle switches, but inevitably the support material nozzle jams. I've been told its because the PVA is "cooking" cooking in the nozzle, but by lowering the temperature the jamming happens sooner than later. After the jam, if I immediately unload and reload the PVA, it extrudes fine?????

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 am

Have you ever tried with left nozzle with PVA, right nozzle with PLA? Does it work better?
Or if provide some extra cooling fan to extruder motor to avoid the heat creep?

DrewPetitclerc

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm

I've tried to show what I did for this issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5914#p24146
Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/