Problems with metal (bronze) filled PLA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
HMBR

Problems with metal (bronze) filled PLA

Postby HMBR » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi,

i bought a pack of Colorfabbs "Bronze Fill" (75-80€/kg) to print a "large" model (250mm height) for decorational purpose. I've been using this filament without any problems on DeltaTower V2 and V3 and even in a GermanRepRap X400 sliced by cura. On the N2 with IL as a slicer I used nearly half of the filament already, but still did not complete one single print that was acceptable.

I used the recommended settings and printed the model in a smaller scale in PLA, wich worked out jsut fine.
If I scale it up though and use the bronze filled filament, I couldn't even get past the first few layers: (see picture)

For some reason z-hight had to be adjusted mutiple times before each try, and under and over extrusion occured occasionally. When I printed with a raft, the raft itself was fine, but when it swichted to the actual model, suddenly it just underextruded ect.

When i resliced the model multiple times, the printer at some stage did all the usual preperations steps (zlevel, homeposition and extrusion), drove to the center of the printbed and just randomly extruded filament at a very high rate (way faster than the initial extrusion or load function) untill i stopped it manually.

How does this happen? Can anyone help me?
I start wondering why one would sell a product, when there are still so many random errors, issues and mistakes. It's really annoying that the N2 and IL still have so many problems that keep me from just printing the designs and materials as I wish and as it is promised...
Attachments
Bild1.png

firesped

Re: Problems with metal (bronze) filled PLA

Postby firesped » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:25 pm

what size nozzle are you using, metal filled PLA tend to want bigger nozzles then .4mm
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi HMBR,

I would recommend downloading out newest firmware for the Motion controller board and Touch screen, you will find them here: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download

I can assure you that we would not knowingly sell a dysfunctional product, please drop us a support ticket with this information as well so we may help you through to getting up and running. http://help.raise3d.com/helpdesk

In my experience with some of the metal filled filaments, we have had to use slower speeds or increase nozzle diameter. In ideaMaker, were you using the "Standard" profile under Hotend v2h PLA?
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Bronzefil prints fine for me. It wants to be printed hotter and slower than normal PLA, and it will wear a .4mm nozzle quickly, opening it up and flattening the tip. Use .6mm nozzle for best results.

Return to “Printing Settings”