Large Print: advice on nozzle size to use?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.

Large Print: advice on nozzle size to use?

Postby Shane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi All,
Am getting to know my new N2+ and enjoying the journey. So far its been very positive overall.

OK so I need to make 24 items; the biggest has a bounding box of about 250mm x 200mm x 50mm.

I've tested and confirmed I can successfully print in PETG, 0.4mm nozzle. but print time is 50 hours for the most complex piece, and I'd like to reduce that if I can.

With an eye on reducing print times, I've now got a 0.6 and a 0.8mm nozzle. Can anyone hazard what the speedup might be as a result of doubling nozzle diameter. Theory says x4 material through a nozzle twice as big, but I doubt a x4 is a realistic speedup.

I'd go from 0.3mm layer height to maybe 0.5 - not too worried by surface finish. Would a x2 be ballpark realistic?

And if so
is it typical that you have to start again dialling in settigns with a larger nozzle - now that I've got things working on PETG and 0.4mm, maybe I stick with that if its going to take ages to dial in new nozzles.

thanks for advice.

Re: Large Print: advice on nozzle size to use?

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 am

Hi Shane,

Here is something to show the time difference:
20mm calibration cube:

.4mm nozzle
.15mm layer height (standard settings)
23 minutes

.3mm layer height
15 minutes

.6mm nozzle
20 minutes

.3mm layer height
12 minutes

.8mm nozzle
18 minutes

.3mm layer height
10 minutes

As you can see you will not get an order of half the time spent by simply increasing the model but it can be close. Please note this is only a test by using the estimate print result function on ideaMaker and it may not completely reflect real world results. There are also some settings that get changed when using larger diameter nozzles like reducing feed rates and such.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028

Re: Large Print: advice on nozzle size to use?

Postby Shane » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:01 am

Hi Michael,
thanks. interesting. Its not a huge improvement is it.
I guess if you are only printing 1-shell, then you won't see much of an improvement at all as the paths are jsut as long.

please can you say what else need changing when the nozzle changes (or please point me to a wiki or other resource - I just can't seem to find anything on this).

Return to “Printing Settings”