structural parts recipe

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
harrisonaero

structural parts recipe

Postby harrisonaero » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm

New N2 owner and loving the machine so far. Of course just printing initial things like calibration cubes, Christmas gifts, and Minion keychain for my son. Now it's time to use this machine for what it's intended.

Suggested settings for fast but strong printing of prototype structural parts out of polycarbonate?

Not concerned so much with surface finish but need excellent adhesion between layers and fast build times.

Thanks and I look forward to being an active part of the community.

zemlin

Re: structural parts recipe

Postby zemlin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

PC can be a tricky material to print, so be prepared to experiment a bit. Some PC filaments can be nearly impossible to print. I've had good success with ePC from eSun, although I haven't printed anything very large with it. I use a PEI bed for the printing, but I've also heard good reports of hairspray for PC.

I tried black ePC a while back and found it to be extremely brittle, so at this point I just use the clear. I tried Gizmodorks PC and never got it to stick to the bed.

My last print with ePC printed with a .4mm nozzle, .2mm layer, 300C nozzle temp, and 110C bed temp. Again, the bed was PEI. I haven't tried PC on the Buildtak. I believe Buildtak is PC sheet.

I find PETG to have similar properties to PC. It is a tough material with some flex and prints a lot easier than PC. It's also a lot less expensive and comes in more colors. I would suggest running PETG first. Get the printing for that nailed down before you move onto the PC variants. You might find it works for what you need.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:58 pm

I print ePC and PCMax with no adhesion issues at 260-265, using gluestick on glass. Couldn't get it to stick to Buildtak.

I test the pieces with a 2lb hammer on an anvil, and the hammer bounces off, so no layer-adhesion issues.

harrisonaero

Postby harrisonaero » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Sounds like good advice, I'll do some more digging on these techniques. Thanks.

Return to “Printing Settings”