Z-Hop not always your friend ?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jetdillo

Z-Hop not always your friend ?

Postby jetdillo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm printing out the Light Cycle Kit and ran into an interesting problem with the front windshield part. I left Z-hop on in my slicing profile in Ideamaker and it printed with lots of Z-Banding/shifting artifacts.

I set Z-hop to zero and it came out beautifully. So that fixes that.
What's interesting is that with other parts, Z-Hop has been the difference between things printing and nozzles getting clogged, dragging across parts, and generally making a mess.
zhop_lightcycle.jpg
20171216_082934.jpg

zemlin

Re: Z-Hop not always your friend ?

Postby zemlin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I've never had an artifact like that on a print. Is the Z-Height the same on both parts? Looks more like missed steps in the Z-axis or a slicing bug that something due to Z-hop.

I've been printing a large lot of parts from PETG. I was having issues with material accumulating on the nozzle while printing. Eventually the material would drop off the nozzle and leave a big glob on the build - sometimes causing parts to be knocked over by a nozzle strike.

With every z-lift at a retraction the material would leave a little string that would later stick to the nozzle. I turned off the Z hop and it eliminated those little strings and the nozzle stays clean.

jetdillo

Re: Z-Hop not always your friend ?

Postby jetdillo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 pm

It's an issue that shows up situationally which I've been trying to chase down for a while now.
I was printing some long, flat parts that really needed Z-Hop(set to 0.12 in that particular slicing profile) in order to print at all and I left it on by default. Turning it off fixed this particular object.

However, if I go to print something like "Benchy", I get dribbles and banding in a couple places. Other torture tests (shifted cube, XYZ calibration cube) turn out quite nicely on a range of filaments from PLA, ABS, TPU, PETG, etc. .
Just about when I think I have it nailed down to "must be something mechanical", I find some setting in my slicing profile that makes it go away.

Return to “Printing Settings”