Filament Initial Contact with BuildTak Concern

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Casale8

Filament Initial Contact with BuildTak Concern

Postby Casale8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 pm

The following has happened with every print I have done since I have opened the box. Not usually a huge concern, but enough to know something is up.

At the beginning of the print, exactly at the time the filament is to touch the buildtak, the extruder moves faster than the initial filament is extruded.

Better written:
In the beginning of the print, the extruder should be extruding and the nozzle should moving at the same time. However, the extruder is moving milliseconds before the filament is extruded and the first ~1/8-1/4" of the material doesn't adhere to the buildtak. It leaves a tail which sometimes is in the air and gets caught on the second layer. The second layer or next shell often but not always covers this issue, but at times with support material being the first to print, it sometimes screws up many layers.

The z gap is perfect.

Is there a way to delay the first movement for the extrusion to really come out at the same time?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Filament Initial Contact with BuildTak Concern

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 pm

The first thing I would recommend is "Picking the nose" of the nozzle before the print starts. This will reduce the chance of the filament curling up on the first extrusion. The filament not extruding right off the bat is because of the filament that drips out of the nozzle leaves a small void in the chamber that needs to be filled with more plastic before material is extruded.

Are you using Raft or brim/skirt?
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:The first thing I would recommend is "Picking the nose" of the nozzle before the print starts. This will reduce the chance of the filament curling up on the first extrusion. The filament not extruding right off the bat is because of the filament that drips out of the nozzle leaves a small void in the chamber that needs to be filled with more plastic before material is extruded.

Are you using Raft or brim/skirt?

I've not been using raft as I seem to be able to get the material to stick the buildtak with Elmers. I haven't used Brim yet as I haven't needed to...

How do I get the printer to not create the void if it's doing it after the initial drip? It's doe this since for every print. Keep in mind most of the time this isn't a problem. There are times it is. I am always mindful to watch the first set of layers...
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm

I run every part with a brim, single layer height and 2 skirt outlines. offset it from part 2mm if there is a lot of surface area on build plate. no offset is there is very little surface area in contact and it will also help hold part. it just helps get the extruder going good before jumping into the part.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Rogman wrote:I run every part with a brim, single layer height and 2 skirt outlines. offset it from part 2mm if there is a lot of surface area on build plate. no offset is there is very little surface area in contact and it will also help hold part. it just helps get the extruder going good before jumping into the part.

Interesting. My concern with that is added print time and wasted material.

Nothing to do to fix the initial filament spit? ;)
-SCC

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm

On single line of skirt can help fixing this issue.
And really doesn't cost you much.
...there's nothing like the smell of fresh ABS in the morning...

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm

there is some math there (.4mm nozzle, 1.75mm dia filament, .2 mm layer height) but I'm thinking that 12 x 12 inch 2 brims would be maybe 2 to 3 inches of filament, if that much. just kind of guessing. :lol: I don't want to do the math.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 am

@Casale8,

The way to prevent a missed first line of filament is the Brim/Skirt option of the print. Just like Rogman said, a fill volume skirt will only take up a few inches of material so the waste is well below the 1/10th of a percent of the spool.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:@Casale8,

The way to prevent a missed first line of filament is the Brim/Skirt option of the print. Just like Rogman said, a fill volume skirt will only take up a few inches of material so the waste is well below the 1/10th of a percent of the spool.

Alright alright alright :D
I'll try the brim.

Thanks y'all
-SCC

Return to “Printing Settings”