problem with dense support settings (ABS/HIPS)

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Jab136

problem with dense support settings (ABS/HIPS)

Postby Jab136 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm

for some reason, even when I set the "vertical offset down layers" to 0, it is still offsetting it by one layer, this is causing the dense support to not stick properly to the model, and then peel off and get slightly burned by the nozzle. I have confirmed that this is not an issue of the material sitting idle in a hot nozzle, as I am using the beta 3.0.3.1340 so I am able to change the temperature of the idle nozzle on a layer by layer basis. here are some pictures of the problem, I am having issues uploading the gcode since even compressed it is too large (~7.5 MB), in the screenshots, the "black" material is the HIPS, and the "white" material is the ABS, in reality, they are both white. The support should start in layer 8, but it actually starts in layer 9, my layer height it .2 mm
Attachments
layer 8.png
layer 9.png
IMG_20171211_171438436.jpg
IMG_20171211_171431308.jpg

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: problem with dense support settings (ABS/HIPS)

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Jab136,

I will need to consult with Vicky but I believe we ran into this issue once before and found it to be a bug at the time. From what I have seen it was not affecting the Dense Layer but just the normal support. I will check with her and we will update you when we can.

Thank you,
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Jab136

Re: problem with dense support settings (ABS/HIPS)

Postby Jab136 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:Hi Jab136,

I will need to consult with Vicky but I believe we ran into this issue once before and found it to be a bug at the time. From what I have seen it was not affecting the Dense Layer but just the normal support. I will check with her and we will update you when we can.

Thank you,

just for clarification, I will need to double check in the morning, but I am fairly sure that the support structure offset on the top is behaving properly (I have it set to 0, and it is going all the way to the layer that it should be at that setting). I don't know if that helps. I did find another issue with indexing today, while trying to troubleshoot this problem, which was that in the preview, layer indexing starts from 0, but in the temperature settings tab in Ideamaker, the indexing starts at 1. I don't know if this is related to that, but FYI.

Edit: I double checked, and it is not, the weird thing is that it appears to be inconsistent, the part that I am printing is a cylinder with partitions parallel to the top and bottom along it's length (I have attached the .stl), unfortunately, the gcode is too large to upload even when zipped. Some of the bottom dense support layers are at a 0 offset, and some are at 1, and the top dense support layers have the same behavior (both are set to 0 in the settings)
Attachments
90 degrees_4 columns redo.STL
(172.64 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Return to “Printing Settings”