Maybe wrong settings leads to dramatic result

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
rmivdc

Maybe wrong settings leads to dramatic result

Postby rmivdc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 am

Hello,

I'm trying to print this :

https://ufile.io/vf2ii

and after some hours it results to this :o :

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

-The filament was ABS/Aramide
-The limit sensor were completely distorted, luckily, the X/Y motors didn't fry.
-The bed cover was completely removed, (high constraints happened here :shock: )

On software side :

The model check was OK.
Settings and nooze/bed distance calibration were not perfect (a tiny bit too far) but it still ran this way without major problem until now...

After 4 different filaments tested in past 6 months (and a lot of waste) i've maybe done 20 % of successful prints in general.
& the only successful prints were PLA...

Is there any particular process to find right settings when testing new filament ?
How to avoid such results and get more security ?

tbh, i was expecting more automatism for such an expensive toy...

Thank you...

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Maybe wrong settings leads to dramatic result

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 am

It seems like the ABS printed part has shrink, warped up and caught the nozzle.

For kinds of high temperature filament like ABS, the key point of printing is heat preservation to avoid shrinkage. Please pay attention to the following points:
1. Install the top cover and make sure all the doors are tightly closed. So that the chamber can hold the inner temperature during printing.
2. Set heated bed to be a high temperature, such as 100-110C. You can even preheat the heated bed for several hours to raise the chamber temperature to be high level before print starts.
3. Check the distance between nozzle and build plate carefully. Make sure the distance is at proper range all over the printing space. For ABS printing, we even will set it a little closer than PLA printing, such as 0.1-0.15mm.
4. Install fan bottom cover. For low temperature filament, downward cooling is necessary to cool down the just squeezed out hot filament so that they can become solid in time.
But for ABS, since it tends to shrink due to temperature change, downward cooling must be blocked. Please install the two 3D-printed fan bottom cover to block the cooling air to just printed out model.

If it is a new brand or new type or filament you haven't got any success before, it is always recommended to print some small tests first until got perfect settings, then try some big things.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 pm

With that ball of material on the left hot-end, I'm wondering if there was a nozzle clog which forced material out elsewhere on the hot-end. I recently installed an insulating sleeve on my machine and apparently didn't get the hot end put together just right. It didn't clog, but I ended up lining the insulation sleeve with PLA which leaked out around the nozzle threads and/or around where the throat threads into the heater block.

If the nozzle had clogged the results could have been more dramatic.

I've never seen a print failure like that and wouldn't have expected the gantry drives to have enough power to do that kind of damage to the extruder.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 pm

it looks like you did not put the fan caps on. the bottom of the cooling fans need to be blocked off with the supplied caps. The reason is ABS curls if it cools to rapidly. PLA is opposite, it curls if it takes to long to cool. just my thoughts. :D

Return to “Printing Settings”