First Layer Lifting in Random Places

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Casale8

First Layer Lifting in Random Places

Postby Casale8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:29 pm

After a first day or two of perfect printing, i'm noticing the first Layer of the un-rafted print lifting in random places.

What could be causing this?

N2
R3D 1.75mm Premium PLA
Standard Hi-Q default (lesser Raft) settings.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Casale8

Re: First Layer Lifting in Random Places

Postby Casale8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:58 pm

1117171249_HDR.jpg

Same print as noted.
Now the left most corners are lifting... Standard Hi Q settings lesser raft...

Also seems as though the center of the build plate is not the center of the software?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Casale8,

Just to start, the print's will always look offset from the center of the bed because there are 2 nozzles each with 12 inches of build able space. so the left will be closer to the left of the bed and leave an inch gap on the right which is what you could be seeing.

If the first layer of your part is lifting up we would recommend to begin by using raft, while it may seem like a time and plastic waste it is the best way to ensure a good stick down for most parts. More to the model now, the failure to stick down could be lack of heat, so if you are using PLA, bump the temp up to 60c on the bed. I would also advise to check your bed level and see if the bed height is lower in that section.

If you prefer we can also take this into a ticket and assist you further.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:Hi Casale8,

Just to start, the print's will always look offset from the center of the bed because there are 2 nozzles each with 12 inches of build able space. so the left will be closer to the left of the bed and leave an inch gap on the right which is what you could be seeing.

If the first layer of your part is lifting up we would recommend to begin by using raft, while it may seem like a time and plastic waste it is the best way to ensure a good stick down for most parts. More to the model now, the failure to stick down could be lack of heat, so if you are using PLA, bump the temp up to 60c on the bed. I would also advise to check your bed level and see if the bed height is lower in that section.

If you prefer we can also take this into a ticket and assist you further.

Thanks for the offset info.
The initial intent of this post was about when the first layer was being laid down it was printing super well, then midway through the first layer the filament would slowly ribbon up off of the buildtak in small sections. The next run would do the same, then it would print without issue.

Then in the corner (LH as shown on the picture): the filament was sticking to the deck without issue, and then at about layer 4 (without raft) it started pulling up in the two corners as you see. It was odd. I'll test with the 60deg first. I was thinking of using an adhesive media (preferably not hairspray, but Elmer's glue as suggested by our re-seller) which is common.

Bed level was a little tall prior to this - on manufacturing receipt (had no problems printing for two days), I adjusted it to a little tighter than the .20 feeler gauge.
-SCC

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm

The reason it took until layer 4 to lift up is simply because each layer of material will want to retract as it cools and this causes a build up in stress. Using an additional media, as you put it, could help with sticking the parts down. My preferred method is Purple glue stick on the glass side of the plate.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:The reason it took until layer 4 to lift up is simply because each layer of material will want to retract as it cools and this causes a build up in stress. Using an additional media, as you put it, could help with sticking the parts down. My preferred method is Purple glue stick on the glass side of the plate.

Are you suggesting that I not use the BuildTAK and just print to the glass?

I left last night and the part (the raft) was fully on the buildtak.

1122170747.jpg

Could this be a result of shrinking PLA or the temp warping the PLA?? I’ve only printed large with white Raise Prem. PLA. Small parts have been printed with a variety without this issue.

Bed Temp is set to 0, Bed temp is displayed as 32-3°C, actual readings with calibrated equipment is 29.8-32.5°C varying ±.3°C from different reading locations on the bed.

Apologies for duplicated questions, but I'm just trying to get the best understanding of this occurence so I don't have this issue.
-SCC

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm

PLA usually does not shrink that much, but the bigger the object is, the more it will warp.
Since this is the first big object you print, I would suggest to increase bed temperature to 60-70C in settings and also set the nozzle/bed gap a bit closer.
You can find instructions to adjust nozzle/bed gap in the Quick Start Guide.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:25 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:PLA usually does not shrink that much, but the bigger the object is, the more it will warp.
Since this is the first big object you print, I would suggest to increase bed temperature to 60-70C in settings and also set the nozzle/bed gap a bit closer.
You can find instructions to adjust nozzle/bed gap in the Quick Start Guide.

Raising the bed temp? I will give it a try on my next large print. Thanks!
-SCC

Return to “Printing Settings”