Printing a Balloon that can be inflated

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DerRad1ra

Printing a Balloon that can be inflated

Postby DerRad1ra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello everyone its me again :lol: ,

I tried to print a object with the characteristics of a balloon with Polyflex. It almost works when i give compressed air in it, BUT the influitation is to little. I need a expension of round about 1cm .. an i maybe got 1mm .

I use a 0.40 Nozzle so my wall thikness is 0.4mm and i dont wanna use a 0.2mm Nozzle for that large print.
My Object is a rectancle and the exspension should be on the smaller Areas, i know a shape of a ball or egg would be better but a rectacle would better fit in my object. Maybe it is neccesary to change my shape to ghet the effect of a balloon. So pls help me with that :mrgreen:

Or is it possible and better to Print with a hard Material something like a pneumatic cylinder?

So my questions are:

Has anyone expierience with that?

Does any matirial exist with this characteristics for a 3D printer? (found no usefull informations)

Thanks for reading and takeing ur time to help me to slove my problems :D

Regards DerRad1ra

walshlg

Re: Printing a Balloon that can be inflated

Postby walshlg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:03 pm

good luck, I wanted to do pneumatic robotics but to get something that flexible it won't print. You may go with thinner wallls but they wont be air tight and will fail. One thought is print then coat the interior with a silicone type covering, not sure how that is done

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I think Walshlg might have a good idea on the coating the inside of the print to help with making it airtight. I do not know of a material that can flex as much as what you will need.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

DerRad1ra

Postby DerRad1ra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes but the balloon is inside a hule and not tauchable after the Print. I need a 1way cylinder controled wir copressed air that get back with a spring provion . Or a balloon :D

It should be the meachanical part of a angus pliers (robotic System in a injection moulding process that picken um the angus or the mouldet Parts)that open and close the tongs..
A picture in the Attatchments

I hope u can unterstand what i wanna do..

Sry for my bad english

Regards

Oli
Attachments
3c964a73cccf4ce3a6b4b7e7c99ef1a4.txt
(236.05 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Would a Bellows-style device work? That might have a better chance of surviving the pressure and giving you the displacement you need.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1760& ... J9SuGlumzU

DerRad1ra

Postby DerRad1ra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Zemlin,

hmm thats a good question i cant imagine that a bellow will work, because the polyflex is not flexible enought to get pulled back with the spring provion .. i guess it would be to hard ^^ i mean in 1 way i need 1cm ---->
and after when i will open the tongs i need that way back <---- and yeah im not sure about that.. with Polyflex maybe another material.

Edit:
it is possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmru8lVyH8

but my Construction skills are not good enought to make a Bellow :D :D

But good idea Thank you

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 pm

a bit confused by the vid,, was the bellows printed in tpu??

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 pm

It seems like he may be trying to print the air chamber right now and that the bellows is not something he is attempting at the moment.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 am

walshlg wrote:a bit confused by the vid,, was the bellows printed in tpu??

In the text below the video it says the mold for the bellows was printed in PVA. Polyurethane was injected into the mold and the mold was dissolved when the urethane cured. Clever solution.

DerRad1ra

Postby DerRad1ra » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 am

Yeah i understand it like zemin the bellow is printed with tpu and was supportet with PVA...

But i have already 2 components.. PLA and Bellow material or PC and Bellow matrial.. so i have not this option with the PVA.

And my Print must be possible in a standing (Vertikal) Possion and i guess i cant print a bellow in a hule without any Support.. may i can add some easy removable supports and can print a bellow.. we will see but first i have to figure out how to do a bellow in Sketchup :D

I'll show u my Project pls dont copy.
Attachments
Project.jpg

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm

looking at your design, a simple balloon may do the job

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 pm

FYI, I have been messing around with printing molds for custom seals related to the day job. I printed the molds in PLA, and because the details in the molds are very small I used a .2mm nozzle and layer thicknesses down to .025mm.

I was skeptical about getting the level of detail necessary, but the N2+ did a great job and the seal turned out surprisingly well.

seal.jpg

The molding material is 40-durometer silicone putty. It cures for demolding in just a few minutes. I usually give it 20 minutes.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8595k12/=1a6ixki

Perhaps this would be an option over trying to get a printed bladder.

DerRad1ra

Postby DerRad1ra » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm

zemlin u mean the openings overprinted with tpu?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:46 pm

DerRad1ra wrote:zemlin u mean the openings overprinted with tpu?

I printed a pla mold and used that mold to cast the part in silicone.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 am

@zemlin

About how small is that part, we can obviously see it is on a finger but what were the measurements of the mold? How accurate was the product when compared to the design?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:@zemlin

About how small is that part, we can obviously see it is on a finger but what were the measurements of the mold? How accurate was the product when compared to the design?

The bead on the sealing surface is .5mm wide. The vents in the center are about 1.1mm wide. The overall length is 19.8mm.
The design has sharp corners which don't reproduce due to the nature of the FDM process. I ran this part pretty slow, but there was still some very light ringing and overshoot at sharp corners, but it didn't seem to hurt the resulting part.

The key on this one was building the mold on a 45 degree angle so the cavity surface was all outlines with no real stair-stepping. The other side of the mold ran flat - it was too deep to build on a 45 degree angle. There are 1/8" holes in the mold for alignment, and they fit the pins and aligned between the parts perfectly even though one of the parts was built on an angle.

Capture.JPG

Return to “Printing Settings”