Retraction settings HELP!

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
pearson222

Retraction settings HELP!

Postby pearson222 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey there- I am printing eSun PETG using a 0.8mm nozzle. I have played around with the retraction settings including turning retraction off and cannot get the surface quality any better. Any changes to retraction make no difference. I am using Simplify3D but have tried the same print in Ideamaker and the results are identical. Any help would be much appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_4513_WEB_3000.jpg
IMG_4511_WEB_3000.jpg

Brandon

Re: Retraction settings HELP!

Postby Brandon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Because of the larger nozzle size we would suggest trying to leave the retraction on and lower your Extrusion temperature by ~10c Make sure your bottom fan covers are not on. Are you printing with the top cover on? We would recommend this. In ideaMaker make sure to select the PETG profile for the Extruder you are using.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Brandon wrote:Because of the larger nozzle size we would suggest trying to leave the retraction on and lower your Extrusion temperature by ~10c Make sure your bottom fan covers are not on. Are you printing with the top cover on? We would recommend this. In ideaMaker make sure to select the PETG profile for the Extruder you are using.

I am printing with the fans turned off and the top cover on. It looks like there are zits on either side of the gap. I have never encountered both zits and gaps at the same time. It is worth noting that I was experiencing the same with a 0.6mm nozzle.

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm not sure how you are turning the fans off, the default configuration is always on. Please try this with the fans on as well as the previous suggestions and let us know what your results are. We can then further address the issue with this new information.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I tried your suggestions and am still getting these small zits and gaps on the exterior regardless of changing any retraction settings. Any other thoughts?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Try Random Layer Start Point in Other tab.
The Zits in your picture look like the start point of each start layer. It also exists in 0.4 nozzle printing, but not such obvious as 0.8 nozzle printing.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 am

What speed are you printing that? Maybe nozzle ooze, perhaps happening during too slow Travel speed?

And are you using Random start points? Poorly-designed random-start-point algorithms can cause the sort of vertical and slanted z-scars on rounded objects that the print shows. Try another slicer to see if it does better on that issue.

Targo

Postby Targo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 am

What is the value for the Infill Overlap parameter?
Try a smaller value to reduce material accumulation.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 am

And are you using Random start points? Poorly-designed random-start-point algorithms can cause the sort of vertical and slanted z-scars on rounded objects that the print shows. Try another slicer to see if it does better on that issue.

The default Layer Starter Point in ideaMaker should be set as Nearest. Set as Random will make the start points more decentralized than default.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

if you are getting gaps you may need to set extrude extra on restart or something like that. I had to use about 1mm when printing petg at lower temperatures after it retracted - test using retraction tests.

Return to “Printing Settings”