Coasting Equivalent?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
mooseontheloose

Coasting Equivalent?

Postby mooseontheloose » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 am

I'm loving ideamaker so far, the only problem I'm having is these zits. They are occurring at the end of the layer and according to that s3d troubleshooting guide, adding coasting would be the solution. Is there any sort of equivalent in ideamaker?
Printer: CR-10
I'm not sure if you can get a settings dump so I attached the preset.
Attachments
PLA .2-export.bin.7z
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
IMG_20170922_184947.jpg

Jetguy

Re: Coasting Equivalent?

Postby Jetguy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

I can actually explain this one pretty well.
You are using the open source CR-10 printer that uses a remote Bowden extruder feeder.
Bowden extruders have a couple of unique characteristics, one of them being that long distance and tubing between the feeder and the actual nozzle tip allows the filament to compress slightly like a spring and at the same time there is some stretch in the Bowden tube.
This means that your extruder system builds up a delayed pressure during an extruder segment. You slightly under extrude during the very first section of a line or segment of gcode, but near the end, that same distance of filament that should have extruded but didn't is now pressure wanting to extrude as the nozzle is slowing down at the end of the segment before it changes direction.
Coast sadly does nothing for the first part of the segment and it still under extrudes. The one thing coast does is tell the extrusion to stop early while the nozzle continues moving and bleeding off this residual pressure at the end of a segment. This helps reduce the blob at the end. Again, likely, without a proper extruder advance protocol,
So, these are the physical characteristics of your nozzle and extruder system and you hope that somehow a slicer can tweak code segments to "tune out" this mechanical problem with your printer.

Ideamaker is really being developed for the Raise 3D series of printers which uses a direct drive feeder mounted above the nozzles. They do not suffer from the same characteristics as Bowden feeders with a delayed pressure build up and overpressure at the end. As such, Ideamaker is not as specialized as a slicing engine to go back and post process normal segments of gcode, break them into smaller segments so that the extrusion happens in the first segment and the coasting end segment has no extrusion and is the bleed off of this built up pressure pushing the filament into the nozzle.

On the other hand, Cura is largely supported by Ultimaker- a printer brand that DOES use Bowden extruders and thus their own printers require these advanced features to ensure extrusion is as good as other brands with direct drive extruders.

Basically, use Cura or another slicer with your open source printer better suited and customized for Bowden extruders.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Great explanation!

mooseontheloose

Postby mooseontheloose » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks, very informative. Bummer though, out of all the free slicers I like ideamaker the best and Cura the least. If only it had a few more settings it would be perfect.

Return to “Printing Settings”