Print settings for 3DXTech PC/ASA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jmenking

Print settings for 3DXTech PC/ASA

Postby jmenking » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello,

I am beginning some test prints using 3DXTech PC/ASA filament. I will post results when I'm done, but has anyone tried a PC or PC alloy before?

Mecha_Monster

Re: Print settings for 3DXTech PC/ASA

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 am

Not that brand, but I had print a lot of things with Polymaker's PC-Max. It sticks fairly well to the Buildtak, but you have to set it to 110 and let it heat for at least 40 min. I print slow, no raft, but with a 10 lines brim, 270 degrees. Slow, less than 40 mm/s.
Also, procure to remove the printed part when the buildplate is still hot, if you let it cool down you will have a hard time removing it.
By the way, PC supports comes off very cleanly, be generous with the support if you need it.

jmenking

Postby jmenking » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am

Update:

Following setting got the "best" quality prints. I'm not happy with quality yet because of layer de-lamination.

Extruder Temp: 285C, higher temp helped with de-lamination
Layer height: 0.150mm
Print speed: 37mm/sec
HBP: 100C, glass with hairspray. Buildtak works well, too well; as mentioned by Mecha_Monster, also took his advice with the skirt additions. First layer height around 40% for good adhesion.
Slowed down most other operations like supports, outlines, infill...

More flexible than I thought it would be at 30% infill, almost rock solid at 100% infill
Didn't notice an order unless I was sniffing for it.

Will update as quality improves.

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 am

I am trying to print with the 3DX PC/ASA and it seems to stick OK to the Polyimide sheets (on glass) or even glue stick on glass but am having a hard time getting the layers to bond strongly... which is a bummer - any suggestions?

It does seem to take a while to saturate the build plate at 100C - I set it to 95 in the tune panel to start it warming up a good half hour before starting a print -

I haven't tried going up to 285 on the extruder but will try that next

Thanks

Mark

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:01 pm

MDVolle wrote:I haven't tried going up to 285 on the extruder but will try that next

My PC experience has been with eSun ePC and Gizmodorks PC. The Gizmo was just a fail regardless of what I tried. The eSun printed well, but I did have to go pretty high on the extruder temp to get look layer bonding. I'm thinking 290, but it's been a while. I'll be printing it again this weekend. I used a PEI build plate over aluminum at 100C, or maybe a little higher.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 pm

jmenking wrote:Update:

Following setting got the "best" quality prints. I'm not happy with quality yet because of layer de-lamination.

Extruder Temp: 285C, higher temp helped with de-lamination
Layer height: 0.150mm
Print speed: 37mm/sec
HBP: 100C, glass with hairspray. Buildtak works well, too well; as mentioned by Mecha_Monster, also took his advice with the skirt additions. First layer height around 40% for good adhesion.
Slowed down most other operations like supports, outlines, infill...

More flexible than I thought it would be at 30% infill, almost rock solid at 100% infill
Didn't notice an order unless I was sniffing for it.

Will update as quality improves.

Have you installed the fan cover blocker? Layer de-lamination may due to fan blowing towards the model.
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 pm

In my case, I do have the fans blocked - actually an alternate fan duct that puts all of the air through the cold end - which actually keeps the heat sink cool enough to touch with the extruder at 270C.

This seems to have stopped the jamming/sticking if I use larger retract settings with high extruder temps.

Mark

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm

zemlin wrote:
MDVolle wrote:I haven't tried going up to 285 on the extruder but will try that next

My PC experience has been with eSun ePC and Gizmodorks PC. The Gizmo was just a fail regardless of what I tried. The eSun printed well, but I did have to go pretty high on the extruder temp to get look layer bonding. I'm thinking 290, but it's been a while. I'll be printing it again this weekend. I used a PEI build plate over aluminum at 100C, or maybe a little higher.

I just pulled up an old file to setup a new PC print job. Nozzle temp 300C and PEI bed temp 110C. Again, this is for ePC. I went higher on the nozzle temp for layer strength. The temp range printed on the spool is 240-260, so I'm quite a bit outside the quoted temp range, but the results are great.

Return to “Printing Settings”