wipe tower issues

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Jab136

wipe tower issues

Postby Jab136 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

I keep having an issue with my wipe tower where it builds fine for quite a few layers and then suddenly it just starts getting all these blobs and then those blobs catch on the nozzle causing it to separate from the build plate.
IMG_20170913_160807.jpg
I am using a raft, and the wipe tower is close enough to the model that there is only one continuous raft. are there any settings that I can change to fix this? it happens with every print.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: wipe tower issues

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Does it show any abnormal in Preview?
Is it possible for you to share the gcode file with us?

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

I think that the purpose of the wipe tower is to catch these blobs. May I suggest that you experiment with temperature, retraction and speeds to see if you can find the source of this ooze.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:46 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Does it show any abnormal in Preview?
Is it possible for you to share the gcode file with us?

no, it looks fine in preview, it won't let me upload the .gcode file extension is there some trick to uploading that file extension?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 am

it won't let me upload the .gcode file extension is there some trick to uploading that file extension?

Yes, just zip the compress the file as he forum does allow .zip extensions.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:56 am

Jetguy wrote:
it won't let me upload the .gcode file extension is there some trick to uploading that file extension?

Yes, just zip the compress the file as he forum does allow .zip extensions.

thanks
Attachments
45_degrees_4_columns.zip
(4.81 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Also, what worries me about your little ooze problem is that you did not show the rest of the print (the actual part you printed) along with the tower. It makes troubleshooting this harder. This is highly unlikely to be the gcode but without a picture that's why they are asking for it to see if this can be reproduced.

But the scary part is, the las time we saw ooze like that, it a was an improperly installed nozzle causing the classic leak in the heater block assembly making a massive mess. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=568&hilit=drips

Here is another example viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2543&hilit=drips
Last edited by Jetguy on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 pm

I stopped the print early, but the actual part was printing just fine

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 pm

What materials (ABS, HIPS?) and why dual extrusion? Sorry, my preview of the object on this laptop is messed up but I did see a second material used as a raft base.

My first notion is, you are making this way harder that required to print this specific part, but I could be wrong. Again, just saying, years and years of experience says only use dual extrusion when there is absolutely no other way, and I see much simpler and better performing "other ways".

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 pm

yes, dual ABS/HIPS, and the reason is that removing the support could be difficult for some of the geometries that I will be working with without damaging the actual model, and FYI there is also HIPS support at the top of the model.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Again, looking at your purge/wipe tower, to the problem at hand, I see telltale burned drips indicative of a leak and burned plastic dripping.
That's a hardware issue, not a code issue.

At the same time, for the total height and size, that purge/wipe tower needs to be 3-4 times the size to survive the height of the model.
So even with your current error, the next error would be the tower breaking mid print.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a near impossible model to print - yours is a solid 12 because of the dual extrusion and support factors.
Again, I have doubts as created, this is going to print in the materials you have chosen that height, that complexity, and with dual nozzles and support material. I'd love to be wrong about that- but telling you up front, you are throwing a heck of a challenge at any FDM based printer.
Stuff like you are showing is often requiring other 3D printing technologies to get the surface finish and complexity to even complete- let alone be acceptable and usable.

Again, would love to be wrong on all points as that's good for you.
Hoping you don't have a nozzle leak because the code itself is not causing that error
hoping it does print and the HIPS dissolves without damaging the ABS
Hoping the ABS doesn't warp on those internal cone shapes- one heck of a challenge you have created.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 pm

I know it can be done, since I have 2 previously printed models, however I don't know what kind of support was used or what printer/settings were used since the parts were ordered from an external supplier before I was involved in the project.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Have you changed the size of WipeTower before?
In the gcode file you shared, the size of the tower seems a little bit smaller than the default setting.

When you stop the print, does the tower stick well to the Raft?
Does there have any tiny shifting on the model at that height?

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Have you changed the size of WipeTower before?
In the gcode file you shared, the size of the tower seems a little bit smaller than the default setting.

When you stop the print, does the tower stick well to the Raft?
Does there have any tiny shifting on the model at that height?

the tower sticks fine to the raft (in fact it usually takes part of the raft with it)

the tower is 6 mm, but I have increased it to 8 and it still did that, I was able to get a successful print, but the tower did end up sticking to the print itself, I think it may be an issue with the sharp corners of the raft warping slightly and then failing bed adhesion, the problem is that I cannot get the tower into a place where that wouldn't be an issue. One idea I had to fix it would be to allow for the user to specify exact coordinates for the wipe tower instead of just having an offset.

I haven't noticed any shifting, but it becomes so messy that I might not be able to tell if there were.

Edit: I made a different post regarding some ideas I had for improvements to the wipe tower feature a few days ago, it can be found herehttp://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3572

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:18 am

The default size of wipe tower should be 12mm.
And also, you can move the tower a little bit more further to the model side to check whether it helps, by editing the X Y offset settings inside WipeTower section.

Jab136

Postby Jab136 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The default size of wipe tower should be 12mm.
And also, you can move the tower a little bit more further to the model side to check whether it helps, by editing the X Y offset settings inside WipeTower section.
further from or closer to? I put it so close to the model so that the rafts would combine

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 pm

If the tower is not such stable, increasing its size to make it wider may have a lot.
The distance doesn't matter the stable a lot, just for avoiding the influence between the tower and the model.
Maybe you can start with the default settings, if not such good, then edit.

Return to “Printing Settings”