Standard R3D PLA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
chengl03

Standard R3D PLA

Postby chengl03 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:10 am

Hello everyone,

So I decided to buy some more standard R3D PLA because I kinda liked the feel of it more and was printing good, until half of the PLA roll remaining, it started to jam most of the time and during prints. It was after I ordered some more standard R3D PLA that this problem begin, now I have four useless standard R3D PLA roll that I can't print with at the moment. I was printing at nozzle temp 205 (like always) then after half the roll it starts to jam almost always and if it didn't it jammed during after a while of printing, tried 210 and 215, started good but after awhile it jammed again. After every time it jammed I had to take it apart and clean it. The Premium R3D PLA printed great without any issues at all. Is anyone having this problem or had? Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Standard R3D PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:03 pm

When there has no extruding, can you load the filament into nozzle and directly start another print, or need to unclog the nozzle then filament can be extruded out?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Vicky, it depends on how bad the jam/clog is. Sometimes I can load the premium to start another print cause it pushed the jam out but sometimes I had to unclog it first cause the premium PLA can't push it. It is always the standard PLA to get clog inside and the only other filament I have on me is the premium PLA to use to unclog it. Using a standard PLA to unclog a standard PLA did not work but the premium PLA did.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 am

Just a wild guess, but are you printing PLA with the top cover on the printer?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 am

EldRick, no the cover is not on.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 am

Are these spools the same color or not?
Normally, it will take how much time for you to finish one standard PLA spool?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 am

I've tried the same color and different colors, same results. Becomes jam and clog then uses premium PLA to unclog if can't then had to clean manually. I haven't really finish my first standard PLA, it started to jam at half way done of the roll, then it just keeps happening if it is standard PLA. Usually it takes almost three days to use up a premium PLA.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 am

And every spool no matter which color is good at the front half, and start clog from the middle?
Would you like to double check that your cooling fans are keeping on blowing cooling air to the heat sink of the hotend?
And may I ask some clear pictures of the different sides of the hotend?

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Do you use the guide tube that come with the machine? Remove that if you do. Also, several time the extrusion get into issue due to the way filament spool holder locate. If possible try to put filament spool on top of the printer and let the gravity help to pull it down straight into the extruder.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:55 pm

another issue, especially in summer in humid climates, is moisture. Try drying your rolls

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Vicky, after that half spool where it began to clog/jam, it has been happening to every new standard PLA spools I tried. I will re-check the fan and will take pictures sometimes this week, is busy with other things and haven't really touch the printer at the moment.

Ben Roj, tried, still same problem.

walshlg, will have to try that.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Even new unopened rolls are often full of moisture in the summer

Raul Rojas

Postby Raul Rojas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Hello, good morning, I'm new.
I would like to know which parameters are the best quality for the production of small parts, the parameters that are by default have not worked for me, I would like to know the parameters indicated please

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm

the answer is that you need to find them out yourself. Each printer, each printer head and each type of filament are different. You also need to make adjustments among different rolls of the same filament! Some parameters help for overhang (print faster with cooler temperatures) some make a better surface (print slower with a warmer temperature, increase retraction). It is really up to you, you must do your own tests. It is boring and takes time but I do atleast temperature testing on EVERY roll of filament. Start with 2x2x1cm 100% fill cube.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:21 am

So it seems like my left fan sometimes dies off, idky, but for now I am just printing premium PLA Raise3D, until I find my spare fan or order a new one and see what is going on. I also feel like the filament is twisting when I unroll it and load it, the filament has like a small twist to it between the roll and the insertion to the motor/nozzle, which I have been seeing in the few (8 filament premium and standard pla rolls that I recently ordered, never happened before). The not working fan may be the reason to the jam standard pla, but premium works fine, I'll find out when I get a new fan or figure out why it's not working sometimes. If that is not it, then... I'll just have to print with premium pla until I find the reason why standard pla is jamming/clogging.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:15 am

What about the right side fan?
Although Premium PLA can stand longer in high temperature, but printing without proper coldend cooling is not safe enough. It may jam your throat tube, which will be very hard to totally clean off.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 am

Right fan is working, but I am not currently using the right nozzle to print. I found my spare fan and has install that one, it is now up and running. Now I just have to try and print with standard pla this weekend to see if it will jam anymore.

Return to “Printing Settings”