problems with my first layer

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Allan Sche Sar

problems with my first layer

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 am

He folks,

I have a problem with my first layer. I print this an other prints many times before, but since 2 days I have this terrible first layer.
Do you have tips for me how can I fix this?

First Layer issue (2).jpg
First Layer issue (1).jpg

This are my printer settings for the ecoPLA material:
print setting ecoPLA.JPG

With a flowrate < 100 % I have allways under extrusion.

Jetguy

Re: problems with my first layer

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Terrible first layer is caused by Z gap and overall bed leveling error.
Here's to separate those two concepts:
Both simply mean that the nozzle was too high or too low (near) the printbed surface on first layer. In your case, too high leads to the first layer threads not sticking because they are not slightly squished into the bed surface and also bond to adjacent stripes beside them.

The difference is, overall "global" Z gap is set by the screw that hits the limit switch

Leveling is the fact that the physical plane of the bed surface is not parallel to the plane that the nozzle tip can travel in. This results in some areas of the bed being too close or too far, but most important if fails to be a uniform distance regardless of where the nozzle is in XY.

Again, the Z axis endstop adjuster screw adjusts the GLOBAL distance of where the bed ends up when homed and thus the first layer to nozzle gap.

Bed leveling ensures that regardless of what the gap distance is, it's uniform across the entire bed surface.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Again, these basic pictures and diagrams will help. They show the side view and vertical top view of first layer print results.
Nozzle height.jpg
leveling2.jpg

Then this is the global Z axis adjustment screw on the N2 and N2 Plus
leveling.png

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Again, you have a telltale sign in that one side of the print first layer is OK (marginal, technically too high but not an outright failure) but it progressively gets worse across the object.

That indicates BOTH a Z gap global error (because the good side is still on the verge of failing) but there is a clear worsening as the nozzle moves away to the other side.

So, while you can and should adjust the global single screw adjuster to bring the Z gap closer, this may not be enough to fully eliminate good side VS bad side leveling issue. In other words, you'll be at a compromise and maybe too close on the now good side to achieve good gap on the now bad side.

Good post to read viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1698&p=14267&hilit=dial+indicator#p14267

Here is a copy and paste of relevant sections
IF only one area is close and OTHERS are further away on first layer, then the bed is out of level and needs adjusted.
I asked for this page to be changed because clearly, the first sentence drive users into a frenzy for no good reason.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/bed-leveling-instruction

And, a post and videos was ALSO posted on leveling using a cheap dial indicator
Read this entire thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1465
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8OdPosrMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-vg2UllhA

Allan Sche Sar

Postby Allan Sche Sar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm such a stupid idiot :facepalm:
Thanks for your quick help.

P.S.: The bed leveling process is with my Raise3D N1 a little bit easier.

Return to “Printing Settings”