Infill settings. Speed up printing.

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DeX

Infill settings. Speed up printing.

Postby DeX » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 am

Hi everybody!
Is it possible to print without that zig-zag lines?
Thank you!
Attachments
scr268567.JPG

Jetguy

Re: Infill settings. Speed up printing.

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:50 pm

That is created because you are printing a curved object that creates a wide layer and overhang per layer. Your object appears to be a ring oriented vertically. As such, as you go layer by layer, the angle and amount of overhang of one layer to match to curved shape changes. As such, it's wide in some places and gets less and less in others. When it's a wide spot, the nozzle has to infill to make the distance filled somehow.

The only settings I could find in ideamaker that might affect how your object is sliced and the resulting gcode is.
#1 add another shell to attempt to fill that space with a shell VS infill. Strike this, see the comment below, I see you already have 3 Shells assigned. I do not think more is the answer based on the fact you already had 3.
Ideamaker shells.jpg

#2 Adjust infill overlap, but I don't know that this is correct. I think this is how near adjacent lines of infill are spaced not an overlap of a roof or floor layer. Again, I do not know that this works- however only overlap of infill related item I can find in a profile. Making less overlap either again will reduce this area (make it zero overlap) or that setting performs another function in that say in a roof layer, this is the overlap to the outer walls shelll layer to maximize bridging success and bond a infill layer to the walls. Also could affect again adjacent stripes of infill on roofs and floors. I just was not able to fully tell with some test files and comparison. I did not have your STL or an object like it.
IdeamakerInfill overlap.jpg

This might just be a function built into Ideamaker to better make strong parts. What you want will make weak parts in some places with only a bare minimum single shell outer wall and normal sparse infill.

Sorry to say, but you are asking for a way to make your part less likely to print- more likely to birds nest and/or minimally experience some pretty shoddy surface finish in overhangs. A ring oriented vertically is a massive and changing overhang angle as you slice it layer by layer.
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

That said, closer examination of your picture shows you already have multiple shells assigned and in the thin labyrinth style ridges you are creating, the shells show that reduction of "what just fits" 2 shells VS the rest of the area which is showing 3 shells.
I do not think 5 is going to change this issue or doing so would then be slower and more plastic in the print- thus maybe taking even longer time.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Besides that, you are using both raft and support material and by far, those add more time than this little ridge of material inside the infill will ever add.

Return to “Printing Settings”