Print settings using a 0.8mm nozzle

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
NewbPilot

Print settings using a 0.8mm nozzle

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am

Before I posted this, i did find a few google links about it, but nothing gave me answers I needed, so....

I put a 0.8mm nozzle on the N2 today. Printed a 20mm calibration cube. Came out very nice. So, then I wanted to print this very simple tray.
Pill Box 200 x 130 v1.stl
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

I had the layer height at 0.6mm. first layer at 0.48mm. printing at 2 shells with 10% infill. I was printing Makergeeks PLA at 235 (recommended) at 50mms. The first box print came out terrible. Now the walls were 3m thick, so it could be that the 3m isnt a multiple of the 0.8mm nozzle, but i wouldnt think it would give me THIS terrible result (for the record, one top layer on the floor of th e tray was splitting and peeling off.

IMG_1671.JPG

I figured it was too cold for the filament to push out that mass that fast, so i printed am smaller but similar box at 240. Same issue. I then printed another but slower (40mms) and hotter (245). Similar issues, but not as bad.
IMG_1684.JPG

What bothers me most is that the outer walls are not even. It is almost like 3 lines are flush with the bottom them a few are offset inside the box a hair, the back out, creating a wavy pattern.

Now I just printed another box, and the sides are even as i want, but there are these systematic holes in ONE edge
IMG_1690.JPG

Those holes dont show in the slice, and i have printed this box on 0.2mm before just fine. I printed it with Raise3D Premium Black PLA, at 235, 1 shell, 10% fill, 0.6mm kayer height, 0.48mm first layer, all speeds down to 35mm/s

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on either what i'm doing wrong, or what i can try to correct the issue. I would expect the walls to be thicker lines that are visible, but still straight layer on layer like the black box.

walshlg

Re: Print settings using a 0.8mm nozzle

Postby walshlg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Well I can help on the holes, I had the same problem with my retraction tests. Basicly, with the big nozzle, retraction doesn't quite work right. You get around it by putting in a value in "add after retraction" IIRC it was about 1.2mm for me using petg.

I also found that slowing down and printing at 20, fill 30, helped quite a bit.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 pm

walshlg wrote:Well I can help on the holes, I had the same problem with my retraction tests. Basicly, with the big nozzle, retraction doesn't quite work right. You get around it by putting in a value in "add after retraction" IIRC it was about 1.2mm for me using petg.

I also found that slowing down and printing at 20, fill 30, helped quite a bit.

Thank you for your guidance.

I did get a decent box to print after making the R3D Premium PLA set to 35mm/s everywhere with infill at 40 and top/bottom at 35.I printed at 240 with the retraction at 40 mm/s and 0.8mm. I havent fiddled with the Extra Restart Amount, but I can. I am excited to print a few of the 1-shell bowls and other items I use as "containers" with the larger layer height.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 am

vase mode is nice and very smooth

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 am

walshlg wrote:vase mode is nice and very smooth

I am working up to that. I had some issues with vase mode on a 0.4mm nozzle that I need to fix (too hot and too fast according to both Vicky and Jetguy) ... so I wanted to get this down pat with simple prints before I went vase :)

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am

Ok, added 0.1mm on the Extra restart Amount and increased retraction from 0.8mm at 40mms to 1.2mm at 40mms. The results were better, but i still have a few lines that have the uniform holes in them. However, the print itself is much cleaner on the outside. The inside of the vase still has rough spots where there was retraction perhaps?
IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

Im trying it with 1.4mm retraction at 45mms to see if it cleans up the inside (doesnt look like it yet) and also changed the extra restart to 0.2mm. I have the flow at 100% for pla (as opposed to the 94% for the default PLA w V2 Hotend profile). Not sure changing it to 101 or more will help, as the majority of the vase looks good. However this is the inside of the vase, as you can see some very smooth lines, and some seriously rough spots.

IMG_1717.JPG

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:09 pm

with vase mode, there is no retraction

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 am

walshlg wrote:with vase mode, there is no retraction

Totally understand and I will try it.

It's interesting, 3 or 4 posts online mention going to FASTER print speeds with a bigger nozzle, yet you and I find the opposite.
http://3dprinting-blog.com/tag/0-8-mm-nozzle/

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I did have great success with these stackable boxes. Im very happy with them! A 50mm Marvin, not so much!

They are both at relatively the same settings. 20% infill one shell. 0.6mm layer height with 0.48 first layer. 100% flow all around, 35mm default and inner/outer shell speed with 40mms on infill and top/bottom fill speeds. The blue is R3D Colorful PLA and the black is R3D Premium PLA. temperature for all is 240 (over the recommended 205-235 range), retraction is 45mm/s for 1.5mm with a 0.5mm minimtal travel of retraction, 0.1 minimal amount of retraction, 0.3 extra restart amount and 20mms restart speed.

IMG_1732.JPG

Need to learn how to smooth out this one corner, i am pretty sure that's the retraction on layer change ...

IMG_1734.JPG

However, a 50mm marvin is looking quite rough. looks like zits all over the top though the sides are ok-ish.
IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Would love to know who is using bigger nozzles, and for what types of prints

jmp

Postby jmp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm

NewbPilot wrote:
It's interesting, 3 or 4 posts online mention going to FASTER print speeds with a bigger nozzle, yet you and I find the opposite.
http://3dprinting-blog.com/tag/0-8-mm-nozzle/

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I did have great success with these stackable boxes. Im very happy with them! A 50mm Marvin, not so much!

I don't have much experience myself with large nozzles but my understanding from other sources is that when you are printing with large nozzles you have to heat much more plastic at the same speeds so the heater can't keep up, hence the need to slow down.

I actually think that Marvin looks OK given it's a small model that you are printing at large layer heights.

Printing at a higher range end of the temperature range might be OK, but I don't know about exceeding it. That may be a hint to slow down so you can keep the temperature in the range.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Return to “Printing Settings”