Multi-density print

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
NewGuy

Multi-density print

Postby NewGuy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm trying to print an object that requires different densities at different locations. Is there any way to set up ideamaker to slice different parts of an object with different settings? The blue parts I want to make a lower density than the rest of the object and I wouldn't be able to print the parts separately.
Attachments
multidens.png

Jetguy

Re: Multi-density print

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Ideamaker does not support this feature. Million dollar question, is that 2 STL files or how did you select different regions?
Think of Ideamaker as the free slicer you got with the printer. It's useful and does a great job most of the time, but is not the end all be all slicer with every option and setting and feature an advanced print may require.

If so, Simplify 3D and potentially other slicers can run different process settings.
This is the example for a single STL file, where the only way we can differentiate is height in the model. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... f-a-model/

However, if you have multiple STL files, that can define complex regions in XYZ because each object can be assigned to a process and a process can have completely different settings. Further, if you wanted to go down the rabbit hole, you can apply the vertical height method and separate STLs and create extremely complex process settings for a model.
Again if you define and create separate STL files in CAD (which I think you did) then this allows you to select those areas in other slicers.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... -printing/

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Also, Simplify 3D is a paid slicer, costs about $150.

That said, it's not the only slicer that can do different densities, especially if you have multiple STL files.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Change- ... on-on-a-3/

The key here is that it would require learning a new tool to setup. For example, I know hands down Slic3r and others can absolutely create compatible gcode for a Raise 3D, however, there may not be built in profiles and machine settings as a selectable drop down menu.
This is where a paid slicer like S3D has built in baseline profiles as part of the ease of use.

NewGuy

Postby NewGuy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. The picture shows one stl file, but the highlighted regions are there to show the idea I am trying to get across (in reality those shaded areas are in very specific places). I'll come up with a work around

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Cura (free and Open Source) also offers a full set of material and printer definitions (albeit not the N-series yet - anyone at Raise3D listening?)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 am

EldRick wrote:Cura (free and Open Source) also offers a full set of material and printer definitions (albeit not the N-series yet - anyone at Raise3D listening?)

Do you mean there are limited filament and printer templates in ideaMaker?

EldRick

N-series software support

Postby EldRick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:17 pm

I mean that Raise3D could supply the JSON and image definitions for the N-series printers to the Ultimaker folks at Github, and they would incorporate it into the next (frequent) release of Cura v2. It would probably take a half-day of time for someone at Raise3D.

Among things I would change in iM would be the ability to remove a printer that one has defined, and to have the ability to easily move material profiles from one machine definition to another. I use my machine as a single-extruder at times, and a dual-extruder at other times. It is a pain in the neck to export slicing profiles from one machine definition and re-import them to copy them from one machine type to another.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am

I'm so sorry but it's hard for us to apply, since we have our own software and keep on improving it.
If any suggestion on our software, please feel free to advise.

We feedback every suggestion from users to R&D department for better using experience.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: N-series software support

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am

EldRick wrote: I use my machine as a single-extruder at times, and a dual-extruder at other times. It is a pain in the neck to export slicing profiles from one machine definition and re-import them to copy them from one machine type to another.

There is no need to export and import the template. Choose Duplicate then it will jump out a window for you to choose which printer you want to copy it to.
1.png

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Good one Vicki, Thanks.

Raul Rojas

Postby Raul Rojas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello, How are you?
I would like to know which are the idealess parameters for a high quality printing, the parameters that the printer has by default do not work very well, the material is PLA 1.75mm

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:51 am

Everyone here may need to know more information to know what can we do for you.
First, filament brand.
Second, which template you choose for it, machine type and filament type.
Third, what's the result. The problem you meet is what. If any pictures to show out the problem, will be better to understand.

Return to “Printing Settings”