PolyFlex & Nylon

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Nishanth NL

PolyFlex & Nylon

Postby Nishanth NL » Mon May 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Hey Guys,

Tried printing with PolyFlex & Nylon and its become a nightmare for me!
Reasons :

PolyFlex -
- Unable to load even after cleaning the nozzle using the tools provided by R3D.
- The filament is too flexible that the gear is skipping.

Nylon -
- Printing the layer is hard! (Used ABS settings)
- Part printed had split layers(later split into 2 pieces)

Posting this after reading many threads regarding the same and unable to find a solution for the same!
Would be great if someone could share your experience and printing settings for the above materials!

TIA

walshlg

Re: PolyFlex & Nylon

Postby walshlg » Tue May 30, 2017 4:16 pm

for polyflex, the load may be too fast. try using the nozzle extrusion joggle (red icons on screen) to load it a little bit at a time.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 am

For the split of Nylon, please make sure that you have turn off the cooling fan or block the downward cooling air to preserve high temperature for it.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Wed May 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I faced the same problem too. I have tried loading the flexible filament twice but both the times the filament got stuck in the feeder gear. I had to remove the front cover and pull out the filament stuck.
I have a raise 3d n2 plus printer. Has anyone printed with flexible filament using the same machine? If yes kindly do help me.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:39 am

Ritesh wrote:I faced the same problem too. I have tried loading the flexible filament twice but both the times the filament got stuck in the feeder gear. I had to remove the front cover and pull out the filament stuck.
I have a raise 3d n2 plus printer. Has anyone printed with flexible filament using the same machine? If yes kindly do help me.

Hi there Ritesh,

I would recommend you start by slowing the machine down to around 10-20mm/s and check your temps, most of the time the major problem is resistance from the nozzle. So by increasing the temp, slowing the machine down, or increasing nozzle diameter will help reduce the resistance generated by the nozzle.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Nishanth NL

Postby Nishanth NL » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:For the split of Nylon, please make sure that you have turn off the cooling fan or block the downward cooling air to preserve high temperature for it.

For PolyFlex the material is not extruding
- Checked nozzle for clog (its clean and extrudes PLA and all fine!)
- Increased temperature but the force for pushing the material is not enough or too fast!
- Trying with setting given by R3D in ideamaker software!

Need serious help in printing them!
TIA

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:30 pm

one thing that has helped me with flexibles is that I pull back on the filament as it is loading. I really have no idea why but that has helped

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 am

Shim paper at the left side of the extruder motor (if you are using the left side nozzle for flex). Can't catch the filament well may due to improper distance between gear and bearing.

Try disable retraction, default setting, but 70% feedrate on screen after print starts.
And print it without the extra guiding tube.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Ritesh wrote:I faced the same problem too. I have tried loading the flexible filament twice but both the times the filament got stuck in the feeder gear. I had to remove the front cover and pull out the filament stuck.

TOPICS TO READ
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=899
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=493
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=879
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1805

swampy

Postby swampy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:55 pm

on a ninja flex type i had to really slow down my printing speed to about 15 mm/s and that worked and i used polymaker pc nylon and with that i found 250 heat and i had 100 degrees bed but i had the bed preheating for 20 mins to half hour first so that the cabinet was nice and hot inside plus being in a garage i had a blanket over it and had the fans off and covers on them the only way to stop it spliting plenty of heat

itehlab

Postby itehlab » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 am

Hey,

I can tell you the setup we use in our office that works perfectly for PolyFlex. We make 20h+ successful prints constantly and there were no issues so far, the printed stuff actually looks amazing and has no defects. We struggled in the beginning though, as does everyone I suppose. Here’s what we use:

1. Print yourself a new filament loading system. You can find loads of them on Thingiverse or on this forum. If you can’t find any, I can share my STL and parts I used. The important thing is that the spool runs extremely smoothly. You can see the system we have set up on attached pictures 1 and 2 and video1. I barely touch the spool and it unwinds without any issues at all, and this is a 2.3 kg spool. This was the most important upgrade for us, because we found out that the weight of the filament was too much for our extruder to handle, as it tried to unwind the material and turn the spool. This causes the filament to stretch and become thinner, so the extruder can’t feed it to the nozzle anymore.
A side note: it works best if the filament spool is placed perpendicular to your printer’s side as shown on the picture.
2. This step is optional, but it may help with your problem: Unload the filament you are currently using. Turn the printer off and remove the 3 screws shown in red on picture 3. Remove the transparent cover. You will find your motor attached to the extruder by 4 screws that are roughly positioned as shown in green circles on picture 3. Loosen the screws, but don’t untighten them completely. Move the motor closer to the bearing as shown by red arrows to minimize the gap between the bearing and the motor (although they should not be touching!). Tighten the four screws and reassemble the transparent cover. Don’t tighten the cover screws too much.
3. Use PolyFlex default settings that come with IdeaMaker. That worked for me on first try. If it doesn’t work for you, I’ve attached a profile that doesn’t use retraction and has limited speeds to no more than 30 mm/s.

I use 230°C on the nozzle and 50°C for the build plate for black and white PolyFlex.
Attachments
video1.zip
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Standard - N2 - PolyFlex - works well-export.zip
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm

thanks for the tips itehlab