Whihc filaments are a pain in butt and probelmtic and which work well?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Spikeysonic

Whihc filaments are a pain in butt and probelmtic and which work well?

Postby Spikeysonic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Had nothing but grief and blockages since trying to use PVA or Ninja Flex.
how are those materials used, which are also problem materials and which ones work well including flexible and support material. No problems with PLA yet though and whhare good for natural hinges please?

walshlg

Re: Whihc filaments are a pain in butt and probelmtic and which work well?

Postby walshlg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 pm

I like to use paperclips for hinges - it can melt through the plastic.

If you want the best printed moving hinges then you really need another pita material = nylon as it is the only one that is "self lubricating", Carbon fiber nylon looks very promising however.

Easy printing = pla but I have personally switched exclusively to PETG - its stronger, less brittle and can tolerate heat and water exposure better and it prints better imho.

jerteach

Postby jerteach » Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm

walshlg wrote:I
Easy printing = pla but I have personally switched exclusively to PETG - its stronger, less brittle and can tolerate heat and water exposure better and it prints better imho.

Interesting Walshlg. Can you give us some temperatures and speeds your working with.
B.Sc (Chemistry), B.Ed (High School) Diploma Counselling
40 years coding. Teach: Robotics, Coding, Animation and 3D Printing. I research Music Notation
Train: Rugby Players and Recurrent Neural Networks
Twitter: @rocksetta https://twitter.com/rocksetta

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri May 05, 2017 12:13 pm

the temperatures for PETG vary WIDELY. Always print a temperature tower with each roll. BW it WILL pull water out of the air. I have had fresh, unopened rolls bubble during printing! if you see that you must dry it out! For clears I find 230-240 best temperature and bed at 80. For colors, it really depends, sometimes hot prints shinier. Do the temp tests!

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 pm

How about how to use Ninja Flex and PVA support. What sorts of settings... Have a Raise3d N2 Dual V2 Hotends. ALL the settings

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 pm

never tried PVA but Ninja - works best on Left nozzle, print SLOW (20), do a temperature trial to find the best temperature for your roll. To prevent jams, and it jams frequently, unload, trim off the kink and reload right before each print, even if doing them consecutively! Also use NO retraction or z-hop if possible, a mess to clean up but eliminates half the jams. I never tried the 800um nozzle but it may be worth a try if the resolution is good enough for your print.

FWIW I found Ninja easier to print than semi-flex. I posted a 2 color frog, black was semi and white was Ninja and for that used R nozzle for Ninja and Left for Semi. The wipewall made it possible!!! after cleanup, I smoothed it with a hot-air tool.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri May 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Trying different temperatures with ninja flex resulting in a completely fked hot end and needing a new one for £90.... would rather have the temps before hand please. Think went to high., Was getting an outer wall full of speggetti with no roof type issues.

PVA also jammed. Need a safe and reliable support material

Return to “Printing Settings”