Internal geometry Discrepancies

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Kingdom3dPrinting

Internal geometry Discrepancies

Postby Kingdom3dPrinting » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:33 am

Hi,

I just printed out some 'Giant Lego Men" at 200% scale and having problems fitting together. The neck spigot printed at 38.6mm diameter while the hole in the head printed at 38.2mm.

In my previous printing endevours I've experienced problems with small hole geometry, but not big holes like this. These files print and fit on my home made mendel90.

I don't just want to scale objects, I want to find the problem (it's not replicating correct internal hole size).

I have done external size calibration checks and now running the "calibrate your 3D printer" "S" fit test from thingiverse.

I used Simplify3D to slice

Kingdom3dPrinting

Re: Internal geometry Discrepancies

Postby Kingdom3dPrinting » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:46 am

Confirmed "S" plug test does not fit in... will do an extrusion multiplier test... but I think it is more of a size difference than that will create

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 pm

personally, I always run test prints of holes and add in a correction factor

Kingdom3dPrinting

Postby Kingdom3dPrinting » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Thought I better post the solution up here in case anyone else has similar problems...

It was indeed over extrusion. Adding about 0.05-0.15mm to surfaces by extruding 7% too much. Once this figure was added to both internal and external faces it was causing parts not to fit.

Adjusted to 0.93 extrusion multiplier and all is right in the world

Return to “Printing Settings”