[Production] How to store settings for production

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Jiter

[Production] How to store settings for production

Postby Jiter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am

Hello together,

I want to make sure that I print the parts in 2 years the same way I print them today.
So therefore I need to save the printing settings for every specific part.

I thought that its enough to save the .idea File to achieve this. A short test showed me that the Templates are shared and when I change Template „A“ from 4 to 3 Shells, it of course gets updated in the other .idea File aswell.

My solution now is to export the Template aswell from the time I print this and get the release of the customer.
But this seems kind of cumbersome to me.

But on the other hand to make an Template for every part I print seems not practicable either.
Please other Professional Users, can you please share your handling?

Have a nice day,
David
Cheers, David
If you can dream it, you can print it! :lol:

jetdillo

Re: [Production] How to store settings for production

Postby jetdillo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Jiter wrote:Hello together,

I want to make sure that I print the parts in 2 years the same way I print them today.
So therefore I need to save the printing settings for every specific part.

I thought that its enough to save the .idea File to achieve this. A short test showed me that the Templates are shared and when I change Template „A“ from 4 to 3 Shells, it of course gets updated in the other .idea File aswell.

My solution now is to export the Template aswell from the time I print this and get the release of the customer.
But this seems kind of cumbersome to me.

But on the other hand to make an Template for every part I print seems not practicable either.
Please other Professional Users, can you please share your handling?

Have a nice day,
David

I know Raise3D is trying to solve some of this with the RaiseCloud software, but there seems to be a real need for a proper PDM-like workflow solution for managing templates and sliced files, material profiles, etc., esp. for those of us who don't have multiple Raise printers or have existing workflows with CAD systems like Solidworks or Rhino or Inventor or whatever.

For my own short-term sanity, I've taken to naming my .gcode files with the following format:
object_name-MATERIAL1-TEMP1-MATERIAL2-TEMP2-EXTRUDER(Left|Right|Dual)

Which gives something like:
robot_claw_left_gripper-PETG-255-LeftSide
or
glasses_case-PLA-215-PVA-225-DUAL

I have some ideas, and certainly some skills, around how to do this, but since I don't run service bureau, it hasn't been a top-of-mind project to tackle. The key things such a solution would run around would be things like Git, local network shares or cloud storage like DropBox, API and/or SSH access to your printer and config management tools like Ansible, Puppet, etc. along w/ understanding how your slicer program stores data.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 am

We have included print settings information into gcode file in the latest version of ideaMaker.
If you have the model sliced and have gcode file saved, you can import the profile with gcode file. The previous version has included settings in .data file. If you have .data file saved, you can import with .data file as well.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We have included print settings information into gcode file in the latest version of ideaMaker.
If you have the model sliced and have gcode file saved, you can import the profile with gcode file. The previous version has included settings in .data file. If you have .data file saved, you can import with .data file as well.

I'm looking at a .gcode file generated by IM 3.3.0.2341.
There's this at the end of the proper gcode:

Code: Select all

G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F7200.0
G28 X0 Y0
M84
G90
;Data start:37496:008dfb00717d6004dc2d803fb138bb95
[...]

Is this the .data file encoded in the .gcode ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:24 am

jetdillo wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We have included print settings information into gcode file in the latest version of ideaMaker.

I'm looking at a .gcode file generated by IM 3.3.0.2341.
There's this at the end of the proper gcode:

Code: Select all

G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F7200.0
G28 X0 Y0
M84
G90
;Data start:37496:008dfb00717d6004dc2d803fb138bb95
[...]

Is this the .data file encoded in the .gcode ?

Yes

Return to “Printing Settings”