Why not two templates for two materials in two nozzles?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
wjHONEY

Why not two templates for two materials in two nozzles?

Postby wjHONEY » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:23 am

Hello Everyone,

I am using a new (bought in September) Raise3D Pro 2 Printer with the latest Software updates and Ideamaker 3.3.0.

In the start slicing menu why is it not possible to have two templates for the two nozzles of the Printer? If I have two different materials in the left and right nozzle I want to be able to easily Access and accordingly work on two different templates. One for the left nozzle and it's material and one for the right nozzle and it's material.

If for example I am printing with PLA and BVOH or ABS and BVOH I want to be able to Access to seperate templates.

Currently putting in the temperature Settings of the right nozzle always completely manipulates the template for the left nozzle. But I do not want to do that. I want to keep the template of the material in the left nozzle as-is for different prints with different material combinations. If for example do a print afterwards with two PLA materials of different Color I have to pay Attention to the right nozzle Settings again which I changed previously. This is very aggrevating.

Why not simply two templates for two nozzles? One for the left, main nozzle, one for the right nozzle. as a supporting nozzle or other material nozzle?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Why not two templates for two materials in two nozzles?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm

There are too many settings we cannot separate using dual-extruder printing.
So we develop override settings for specific filament under Filament Settings. Once you choose the filament you have added override settings, the settings in advanced will change to be the ones you set in Filament Settings.
1.jpg

miszun

Postby miszun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi
Vicky, that doesn't work when there is only one setting for given feature in the template. For example, if you want different "Extra Restart Amount of Extruder-switch" for both extruders, and set overrides in both Filament Settings, only one parameter is used in resulting gcode (don't remember which one, from left or right extruders). As a switching sequence is wrong (extruders restart is done over printing area, wipe tower, or wipe wall), that alone makes some filaments combination almost impossible to print properly.
Generally suport for dual extrusion is very poor in software. Even starting gcode although works great for single extrusion, for dual extrusion is often not able to even pour one of the nozzle properly. This I could easy corect myself, but other issues I cannot.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Would you like to advise which settings currently in ideaMaker you'd like to have two nozzles separate? So that I can have the software team check whether we can achieve your requirement to separate the settings as temperature control list for two nozzles.

miszun

Postby miszun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 am

On Ooze tab there is "Extruder Switch Ooze Control" section. All those setting are related to retraction (and restart) and are strongly filament dependent.

And there should be some kind of warning if any setting not separated for nozzles is double overridden by filaments settings and in conflict.
In general I like the concept of per filament settings, but in current state it's hard to manage and leads to conflicts.
Did you think of reverse the settings philosophy? Filament related settings in filament and override them in profile per request instead of current scheme requiring lots of click to manage all options.

BTW, filament flowrate is set per filament and overridden in advanced tab of advanced settings, but when you disable that override you cannot see what the flowrate is set actually - it's grayed off and showing not current setting from filament but last used setting when override was enabled. It require to close advanced settings, save them in advanced template window and click on filament's setting in Manage Template window just to see what the actual flowrate is set for given filament.

There are signs in every corner of IdeaMaker and printers firmware that double extrusion is of little importance in Raise3D. It's time to fix it as many people buy Raise3D printer in hope for multi-material prints and are disappointed in how difficult it is to get it. There are cheaper good mono-extruders on the market.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for your suggestions of Ooze settings. Will forward to software team.
For the inconvenance of using override settings, each setting which has been added into override settings, there will have an edit button beside. You can directly go to override settings profile to edit this setting when viewing the print template.
1.png
2.png

Return to “Printing Settings”