Setting Shares

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Vicky@Raise3D

Setting Shares

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:37 am

Welcome to share your successful settings with others here! :)
Please list brand, filament type and printing settings so that others can find out your suggestion easily.
Thanks in advance.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Setting Shares

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:01 am

General filament:

Jetguy

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1198&p=10885#p10885

Matterhacker:

Matterhacker PETG

walshlg
0.8 Nozzle, 20mm/s, 220C, Vase Mode.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1232

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello,

this topic is a good idea but now that i better understand fdm printing i think that it's really hard to use setting from an other user if your conf is not exactly the same, the software used and also the design printed.

However, it's possible to extrapolate settings if we know the conf of the user who gave us these settings.

MakerTree 3D

Postby MakerTree 3D » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 pm

I just wanted to take a moment to share my thanks to Raise3D for sharing any and all helpful tips towards working with 3rd party filament types, especially other PLA brands. As others have also experienced with working with many other brands of PLA, that it can challenging to say the least. As much as I've found that the Raise3D premium PLA has become a favorite and very reliable, I've also still maintained my attempts to get other PLA brands working as well.

After so many failed attempts with several various brands over the past year, I've reviewed the Raise3D steps to further tuning for this purpose on their page here:
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/third-party-pla-tuning

Somehow I had missed this article before, however it seems to have been a tremendous help. For me, the slight down turning of the extruder driver helped to cool both the extruder motor, but also the metal mounting plate for the extruder motors. This has helped to control the temperature of the filament before it reaches the extruder gear so that it's not biting material out, but rather pushing it down into the hotend.

The other big factor is to down tune the extrusion rate for other materials than the Raise3D materials. The material profiles for the Raise3D PLA for example is 94%, and Raise3D recommends a 90% extrusion rate as a starting point for other filaments. Also, it's critical to make sure that the infill speed is turned down from 90mm/sec to 60mm/sec as well. I've started with the 90-91% rate, after down tuning the driver and I've got some cheap PLA currently printing a 15 hour print beautifully so far without any extruder clicking, filament being chewed through, or other related issues. Extruder at 198c and bed at 50c.
If this cheap PLA completes successfully, I'll go back and attempt to work with the colorFabb PLA/ PHA blend which has been one of the toughest to get to work trouble-free in our past evaluations.

L3G

Postby L3G » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi MakerTree 3D,

I am new in this forum and I am trying Colorfabb PLA now for about 60 hours to get a clean 2 Colour Print.
Tried many settings but till now nothing worked well.

Did you already tried Colorfabb PLA?

Regards
Xander

MakerTree 3D wrote:I just wanted to take a moment to share my thanks to Raise3D for sharing any and all helpful tips towards working with 3rd party filament types, especially other PLA brands. As others have also experienced with working with many other brands of PLA, that it can challenging to say the least. As much as I've found that the Raise3D premium PLA has become a favorite and very reliable, I've also still maintained my attempts to get other PLA brands working as well.

After so many failed attempts with several various brands over the past year, I've reviewed the Raise3D steps to further tuning for this purpose on their page here:
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/third-party-pla-tuning

Somehow I had missed this article before, however it seems to have been a tremendous help. For me, the slight down turning of the extruder driver helped to cool both the extruder motor, but also the metal mounting plate for the extruder motors. This has helped to control the temperature of the filament before it reaches the extruder gear so that it's not biting material out, but rather pushing it down into the hotend.

The other big factor is to down tune the extrusion rate for other materials than the Raise3D materials. The material profiles for the Raise3D PLA for example is 94%, and Raise3D recommends a 90% extrusion rate as a starting point for other filaments. Also, it's critical to make sure that the infill speed is turned down from 90mm/sec to 60mm/sec as well. I've started with the 90-91% rate, after down tuning the driver and I've got some cheap PLA currently printing a 15 hour print beautifully so far without any extruder clicking, filament being chewed through, or other related issues. Extruder at 198c and bed at 50c.
If this cheap PLA completes successfully, I'll go back and attempt to work with the colorFabb PLA/ PHA blend which has been one of the toughest to get to work trouble-free in our past evaluations.

MakerTree 3D

Postby MakerTree 3D » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 pm

L3G wrote:Hi MakerTree 3D,

I am new in this forum and I am trying Colorfabb PLA now for about 60 hours to get a clean 2 Colour Print.
Tried many settings but till now nothing worked well.

Did you already tried Colorfabb PLA?

Regards
Xander

Xander,

When it comes to the colorfabb material, I have finally had great repeatable success with their PLA/ PHA blend, but we've not yet worked with the colorfabb Economy PLA which is a different formula than their PLA/PHA blend, therefore may have different results, possibly requiring different settings.
Also, I'd like to state that whenever we are working with a different or new material in a given printer, I always recommend getting it to work as a single extruder print before moving to a dual extrusion print of this new material, just to minimize frustration and wasted time/material. Dual extrusion takes a bit of extra work and consideration, checking/ adjusting nozzle height offsets, etc..., so we reserve the more involved processes for once all materials that would be used in the process are verified successful independently prior to moving forward. With this shared, here's a brief crash course of how we got most other brands of PLA printing reliably and consistently:

There are multiple areas that need to be tuned on the Raise3D printer, to reliably print colorfabb PLA/ PHA (or many other brands of PLA in general). Checking the extruder drivers on the Raise3D printerboard and down tuning their power (if needed) to be at a 0.85ish range on your multimeter. There's a Raise3D *.pdf on how to adjust the voltage on your Raise3D. I did however have to slightly down tune my driver below the stated 0.9 to accomplish the goal, but the steps are outlined well in that document. This adjustment to the extruder driver didn't adversely affect the printing of any of the other materials, and instead only reduced the amount of heat the physical extruder motors generate and less force of the gear against the filament so the extruder gear doesn't soften the filament as much and then just taking a bite from the filament rather than driving it down into the hotend.

The second area that needs attention is creating a new material profile. For the Raise3D PLA, we still use their included PLA profile which works great! For PLA materials that soften more readily or are susceptible to having a bite taken out of them by the extruder gear, then you can have a separate PLA profile. At the top of ideaMaker, under 'Printer'/ 'Filament Settings', you can create a new material profile for these other PLA filaments. The base settings we used were a density of 1300 and more importantly the 'Flow' of 90.50, (also make sure the diameter is set at 1.75mm).
Now with this Material created, you can now proceed with creating your print profile for the material. When you choose this material when printing, there are no print profiles yet so you'll need to create one. Just to hit the ground running quickly, I simply duplicated the Raise3D PLA V2 hotend SPEED profile, to the new material template we created and renamed it as needed to fit (eg: "Colorfabb PLA/PHA").
With this new material now having a print profile now, we still needed to make some adjustments to it before being able to print. This is also documented on the forum, but the important points other than temp settings for your material, will be the speed settings. We use a print setting of 60mm/sec as the max rate, and is applied to the default speed, the infill and the support speeds while other speed settings such as first layer, inner and outer shells speeds are a lesser rate.

This should serve as a basic reference guide, since each of these topics can be found on this forum, covered in greater detail. I do hope this helps you with your project.

Return to “Printing Settings”