Needing help with the print

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
zwang14

Needing help with the print

Postby zwang14 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:00 pm

I got my new N1 printer yesterday and tried to print some small prints with the default high quality settings and 1.75 abs material. However as you can see on the picture it doesn’t seem right to me. It was alright at the bottom but as the print goes up it became messy. Also the software told me the print would only take 2 hours while it takes 8 and half hours to reach 80% before I stopped the print. I am really new to the 3D printer and would like to have some advice and help. Or website link that can help me learn how to make better and maybe faster prints.
Attachments
4A2508AA-7CC1-4FC3-91FE-1D15D771B53A.jpeg
F85273DF-6F30-4F37-82D0-BCFC0BE60261.jpeg
47783628-299D-4208-95F9-A3F4A6D818EC.jpeg

crimsonyoshi

Re: Needing help with the print

Postby crimsonyoshi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:34 pm

That moment when you type a bunch of stuff out, and go and look at the picture in the thread, only to have your reply deleted because it loads a new page for the picture... ugh!

First thing I'd check is make sure your software and firmware versions are all up to date (found on Raise3D's downloads page). After that, it looks like you might have some warping going on. Disclaimer, I've yet to work with ABS, but I do work with polycarbonate. While doing a bunch of research when I first got into PC, a lot of people mention both PC and ABS have a tendency to warp during the print, more so PC than ABS.

An easy way to tell if it is warping is load the printer with PLA, and print the same thing using the standard PLA profile (again, from the latest software / firmware version provided). If it comes out good, it's likely a bit of warping. If it is warping, you can use support material to hold the build down, as warping tends to warp up towards the nozzles. You could also try increasing infill to 100%, but with a "wire mesh" object like that, it might not do much.

I also see stringing in your pictures, so you can also dial the temperature of the nozzle down 5 (maybe 10) degrees. Colder nozzle means less stringing but at the cost of layer adhesion. You'll need to experiment with that. If you do go past 5 degrees, make sure you hang around for the start of the print. If it's too cold, the feeder gear will start to click as the plastic isn't hot enough to squeeze through the nozzle, and you want to stop the print. Gear clicking isn't good over a prolonged period!

In terms of the time estimate, from browsing these forums (again while I was starting out with PC) there seems to be more inaccuracies with the earlier model versions. Firmware upgrades do make that better from what I've seen, but beyond that, I'd have to defer to Vicki.

There's some good information in these forums, but from my experience starting with PLA is the easiest way to go as it doesn't seem to warp. The standard profile for it also comes out great - at least on my pro 2 plus printer. Beyond that, you'll find more information on other 3D printer forums. Their experiences will vary though as not all printers are made equally. Which brand of plastic are you using, as that can make a difference too?

zwang14

Postby zwang14 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks so much for the help!

zwang14

Postby zwang14 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:08 am

So I switched to PLA, but I have another question. When I was printing the raft, I notice the first layer is not really consistent. There were a lot of gaps in between lines. Is that normal and what would cause it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.08.28 PM.png

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Sorry for the delay in reply - I've had my printer running 24/7 recently!

Gaps like that can be caused by the flow rate of your fillament (in this case, not high enough), or temperature slightly too low (less likely). There could be gear slippage too (unlikely), or something more sinister. I'd definitely open a ticket with Raise3D support (found on the main website) and get someone on their tech team to look at that further for you. Try slightly adjusting the flow rate first tho! The raft should absolutely be uniform.

Return to “Printing Settings”