How to I stop PETG G stringing and jamming my Raise 3d N2 Dual with Dual Bondtech?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Spikeysonic

How to I stop PETG G stringing and jamming my Raise 3d N2 Dual with Dual Bondtech?

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 am

Why am I gettign stringy then failed prints twice to 3 times not that appear to start fine, print for a cm before what looks like a large layer shift and then the usual stringy birds nest mess.

Both times the PETG appears to have jammed in the extuder, last time solidly this timeI cannot load or unload but there is some movement before the bond tech dual starts ticking and knocking (skipping gear?)

Im printing Technology Outlet PET G at 240 degrees and 70 degree bed.

the PVA was at 180 degrees (that also jammed but only a little and was an easy fix, the PET G I had to take apart the Hot End

Attachments
Shower Cage Fence.zip
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 3 times

zemlin

Re: How to I stop PETG G stringing and jamming my Raise 3d N2 Dual with Dual Bondtech?

Postby zemlin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:00 pm

While not related to jamming, I disagree with your decision on orientation for printing. You're just starting off on the wrong foot. All those radii and minimal contact area is asking for trouble. Printing it with the big, flat side down will start off far cleaner. I have had zero issues with PETG running through my Bondtech. I usually print on PEI sheet. Don't think i've even tried it on Buildtak. I usually run the feed pressure screw all the way in until the spring goes solid. Then back out two turns. PETG benefits from retraction to reduce ooze.

Spikeysonic

Re: How to I stop PETG G stringing and jamming my Raise 3d N2 Dual with Dual Bondtech?

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Ta what retraction settings should I use and what about flowrate. ?

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 pm

I downloaded your model and loaded it into Ideamaker and have some thoughts.

First, I'd flip it 180 degrees so that you have the larger, non-spiky bits facing down and in contact with the buildplate.
Ideamaker estimates it'll take 11 hours that way vs. 10 in your current orientation. That's not a huge increase.

Have you made sure your PETG is dry ? It's pretty goopy by itself, but if it's not been in a dryer or it's been sitting out for a while, it will absorb even more moisture from the air and get even worse. There are a bunch of different articles and links here and elsewhere on how to dry your filament.

Also, try a higher temperature. 240C seems pretty low and a lot of the stringing and blobbing I've seen comes from printing at a low temperature. I've found 245-255C works well for me. My current template is set to 245C.

I don't use a build surface. I've tried BuildTak and others and found that really just straight glass w/ a fresh, even spray of PVA(Aquanet unscented hairspray) works best for me.

I have my retraction cranked kind of high because PETG loves to ooze. My current template uses:
40 mm/sec retract speed
3.5 mm retraction
0.5mm min amount
0.02mm travel before retraction
Z-Hop(when I need it): 0.25mm
40 mm/sec restart speed.

None of these is guaranteed to work a miracle cure on your issues. You're going to need to fiddle with things to find what's right for you.
It took me a good 3-4 months to get to where I could reliably print good-looking solid functional parts with PETG.

HTH

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Spikeysonic wrote:Ta what retraction settings should I use and what about flowrate. ?

Oh, flowrate ?
Crank that sucker down. I'm using 92-94% under the Infill.

Return to “Printing Settings”