Stringing on N1 Dual

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Danyen14

Stringing on N1 Dual

Postby Danyen14 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Under cover i a a picture of a build that I stopped due to all of the stringing. This build was started with the Ideamaker out of the box medium quality settings for pla, no settings editted or changed . The white PLA is what was shipped in the carton by R3D, along with the printer.

What has me vexed is that when I run a stringing calibration test model ( two cylinder type),the test model comes out perfectly, no stringing whatsoever. Any suggestions? I would asume it's the retraction setting, but why would model geometry make a difference?

Btw, I'm receiving a new N1 Dual sometime today, along with a BondTech dyal extruder...I'm hoping that i can use a significantly more aggressive retraction setting, without the possibility of filament grind.

A14B42D9-6BDD-4911-9473-50758DA5846D.jpeg

crimsonyoshi

Re: Stringing on N1 Dual

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I have a Pro 2 Plus and used the default standard PLA settings for a more complicated (bigger and higher) print recently with no stringing. I'm not sure if the default profiles are different between printers or not, but the first thing you can try is lowering the extrusion temperature slightly (try 5 degrees at first). The trade off is lower temps mean less stringing, but also weaker layer adhesion.

You need to be careful with retraction, as if you raise it too high, you'll get melted filament too high up to be properly re-melted and potentially temporarily jam the machine.

Danyen14

Postby Danyen14 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 am

Thanks for the comments...this part was the third or fourth I ran , first using Oem settings, then reducing temps by five degrees. This part was printed at around 190 and the bed at 60. I didn’t change retraction,etc, as not to add another variation to the problem. I also ran a dual cylinder stringing check tower...it came out perfect with no stringing....also ran a temperature calibration tower...it was stringy from 220 to 180.

This stringing issue that seemed to be geometry centric , was what was causing my confusion. I purchased some E Sun PLA, ran it on the Oem middle speed/quality setting, no changes whatsoever, parts came out as near perfect as could be had.

tja

Postby tja » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm

I have a Dual N1 and have never seen stringing like this with PLA. I haven't had stringing that bad with PETG and that filament is much worse than PLA for stringing. I suspect you have a bad reel of PLA

Return to “Printing Settings”