Nozzle catching on small detail

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Xtrude64

Nozzle catching on small detail

Postby Xtrude64 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello,
I am on my 14th attempt trying to print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1264417 a spiral chess set with ABS.

After the print gets above 50%+ the nozzle starts to catch on some of the spiral uprights, which often breaks them off. The problem is not the base adhesion, they stay attached.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this? I have seen suggestions of different slicing software, slowing down the print head speed (which greatly increases an already excessive print time) and something to do with setting the hop?

Any help appreciated, I have hardly any successful prints with ABS with this new printer.

Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Nozzle catching on small detail

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Does the issue always happen during print head moving from one position to another?
If so, try lower XY Movement Speed or Z hop.

Xtrude64

Postby Xtrude64 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 am

It happens when it goes from one chess piece to the next. Doesn't happen until the pieces get towards last 40%. all it takes is a tiny catch on the edge that probably shrank upwards a little.

If I change the x/y movement speed, what should I change it to, and isn't that going to really increase my print time?

And what do you suggest for hop?

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

I have yet to work with ABS, but if there's similarities to polycarbonate - then this might apply!

In terms of z-hop, if you're layering at 0.2mm increments, than a z-hop value of 0.250mm should be fine. That allows for one and a bit layer spacing for the print head to move around without extruding.

I had a lot of trouble with a polycarbonate print recently and it was due to warping. It was hard to see it as the warp was not outrageous, but it did warp up towards the nozzles a couple of layers worth. That was enough to cause catastrophic failure. There was two ways to deal with it, the first being a 100% solid infill (which I rejected out of material usage) and the second was to add dense layer supports (3 high). The dense layers were enough to keep the material from warping up towards the nozzles during the print - and the result was perfect.

tja

Postby tja » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:22 am

Have you tried printing just one or two pieces at a time to see if it can print without this problem? I have experience of parts printing well on their own, but causing real problems if I try and print several copies at a time. If you don't want to print them as singles or pairs, I would guess that experimenting with z hop is your best bet.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm

ABS's tendency to warp is what's killing you here. The spiral arms are pulling up so they are taller. They spring down a bit when the nozzle is laying down new material but pull back up as soon as the head has moved on.

Z-Hop will help here. It can increase stringing though. Since warp is the issue, I'd start with a Z-hop of at least two layer thicknesses.

eSun ABS+warps a lot less than straight ABS. It prints with a pretty flat surface finish though. I also find that 270C nozzle temp seems to be optimal for ABS - maximizes the layer strength. It still fractures along the layer lines though.

Return to “Printing Settings”