Set up the space between the nozzle and the buildtak

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
weSker

Set up the space between the nozzle and the buildtak

Postby weSker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am

Hi everyone,

I use a 3D Raise N2 / PLA PolyMAX Polymaker (210 ° - 60 °) / Buildtak / Nozzle 0.3 / Ideamaker.

I have a troublesome problem. The space between the nozzle and the hot buidlatk (60 °) is correct with a gap of 0.2mm.

But when printing the first layer, the space between the head and the buildtak is at least 0.4mm, so that the first layer is deposited on the buildtak and it is not crushed. For next layers, the space is fine.

How can I set up the space between the nozzle and the buildtak in Ideamaker? for the first layer?

It's been 2 weeks that I'm trying to solve this problem ...

Thank you for your help !

Capture d’écran 2018-10-06 à 11.29.29.png

Capture d’écran 2018-10-06 à 11.29.53.png

Capture d’écran 2018-10-06 à 11.29.42.png

tampyman

Re: Set up the space between the nozzle and the buildtak

Postby tampyman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm

set the first layer height from 0.700mm to 0.200mmm

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm

As tampyman said, setting your first layer height to 0.20mm if you have spaced the nozzle from the bed at 0.20mm.
However I think that's a bit crazy if you are printing at a layer height of 0.05mm. I personally don't print with a raft and try to keep the first layer height the same as my print layer height, however this requires you to get feeler gauges if you print at any layer height other than 0.2mm.

I am currently printing at 0.1mm layer height and have my first layer at 0.1mm too. That requires me to set my nozzle to bed distance to 0.1mm with a feeler gauge. after doing so it prints great and all my layers are the same height.

weSker

Postby weSker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 am

Hello, Thank you very much for your message that allows me to better understand how to adjust the nozzle height. I have to print small parts and the resolution of 0.05 is necessary (printing in 0.05 works fine for me with a 0.3 nozzle.)

I would like a clarification on this box "First Layer Height": Does it define the height of the first layer of plastic? Or is it rather the height between the bed and the nozzle, and so that for the first layer it uses my 0.05 setting inserted above?

Personally, I feel that it does both. If I place 0.2 in first layer height, I will have a first layer height of 0.2, and also a gap of 0.2 between the nozzle and the bed.

I would like to understand how this setting works, because it is decisive for me concerning the adhesion on my buildtak, I can not get well the hot filament on the buildtak.

According to you, will I have better adhesion with a first layer height setting of 0.1 or 0.2?

Thank you !

tja

Postby tja » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 am

The First Layer Height is literally the height of the first layer, if taken off the Buildtak and measured with a micrometer. Assuming that the nozzle diameter is large enough to print the layer height you have set. In your case, the 0.3mm nozzle cannot print the 0.7mm height setting. A good rule of thumb is to set your first layer height to 50-60% of your nozzle diameter. This usually gives the starting layer the best chance of adhering to the bed. Try this as a starting point and then experiment with different first layer heights to get your best outcome.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:40 pm

weSker wrote:Personally, I feel that it does both. If I place 0.2 in first layer height, I will have a first layer height of 0.2, and also a gap of 0.2 between the nozzle and the bed.

Yes, but there are limits to this. I think it would be quite hard to set your first layer height to 0.05mm as any changes in bed level will have an effect (most likely bad) on that first layer. I am able to do 0.1mm first layers but I was printing a small 51mm diameter part, use a dial gauge in leveling and have modified the bed leveling mechanism making is easier to level.

The common rule seems to be what tja said, where you use 50-60% of the nozzle which I assume is why they provide a 0.2mm feeler gauge with a 0.4mm nozzle. Some of the profiles also are set for a 0.25mm first layer to give it a little extra "squish" when the 0.2mm feeler is used.

I normally do a skirt on my prints so I can almost immediately tell if I am going to have an issue with the bed level / first layer, by watching the skirt printing. If so, I can stop it before it gets very far.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Is not possible to get better accuracy with bed levelling at 0.05 mm...

Return to “Printing Settings”