Small Print Problems

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
mechemily

Small Print Problems

Postby mechemily » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:10 pm

I am currently trying to print a small piece, 0.5" x 1" x .5", and am having trouble on the N2+. I printed with ABS using print settings that have worked well with other parts. I recently bought PETG and had success with the settings with a larger print. I think my issue is that I have two angled flanges that are free standing and they are proving to have the most issues with both materials. I included supports on the flanges, but the printer doesn't like to even print those. Is there a different type of material I could be using or should I keep trying to adjust the print settings? I would ideally like for the finished product to mimic an injection molded piece, which is why I chose the PETG, so if I need to select a different material then I would prefer something that has a little bit of give to it and is not brittle.

crimsonyoshi

Re: Small Print Problems

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Just to not leave you on viewed and give you something to read after no responses for a few days - I haven't tried ABS yet, but there was a post on these forums from quite a few months ago (maybe 1+ year) about using ABS with BVOH support. There was even an included bin file for settings the user found to work.

I have ABS and BVOH boxes sitting beside my printer which I haven't used yet - but I do plan to get to testing with them in the next couple of months.

Free standing stuff definitely needs supporting. You can dial the angle of overhang down to 10 degrees (or 1 really) to generate support practically everywhere, and dense support layers might also be needed (2 or 3 should be fine). Make sure you print on a raft of the same support material, as that provides a good base for the support material to adhere to.

tja

Re: Small Print Problems

Postby tja » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 am

What kind of trouble are you having? It's not clear from your description what your problem is. If I had to guess at your problem I would say that the small dimensions of the part means that very little plastic is extruded during the first layer. This can lead to the plastic not adhering well to the bed and then subsequent layers are not properly positioned. I have seen this with supports for small details.

If this is the case, slow down your print speeds. Half or one quarter of the speeds you currently have set and then see if that helps. You can always experiment with speeding it up a bit when you get good parts.

I print PETG most of the time and frequently print small parts.

Return to “Printing Settings”