FYI: MagicGoo has a half-life

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jetdillo

FYI: MagicGoo has a half-life

Postby jetdillo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:56 pm

I bought a bottle of Magicgoo from Matterhackers a month or two ago because it was on sale and I was getting tired of mixing up ABS slurry and dealing with the acetone-meets-ABS fumes in the process.

Good news:
It works! Even for ABS, even for ASA, PETG, PLA, the whole lot. It actually does what it says it will.

Bad news:
It looks like it has a bit of a half-life.

The fine print on the bottle that says "Use within one month of opening", is pretty spot on. I did a big ABS printing project recently, finishing off about 2 weeks ago. I continued to use it and it worked great up until this weekend. I just could not get anything to stick no matter how much I applied, how much I slowed down my printing, adjusted the bed temp, etc. I was starting to fiddle w/ Z-height and was getting out the dial caliper to see if the bed had gone out of tram when I recalled the above fine print.

I cleaned my build plate, sprayed my usual PVA(Aquanet) on it and launched the same job that had been giving me trouble.
BOOM
That was it. So, I don't know if what I have left(about 1/3rd of a bottle) is totally spoiled or not, but it's not holding the way it was just a few days ago. My recommendation would be to get it and use it if you know you're going to be doing a lot of non-PLA printing in one stretch. It works great new, but it doesn't seem to last all that long.

crimsonyoshi

Re: FYI: MagicGoo has a half-life

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Can verify this. I also have two different tubes of Magigoo and after about 6 weeks, polysupport starts peeling off the build plate a few hours in mid print.

Return to “Printing Settings”