Nozzle drags on raft

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Kfleck

Nozzle drags on raft

Postby Kfleck » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi All,
My Nozzle drags across the first two layers of raft. it will print some then try to pass over it without raising up. some times pulling the raft up. I have retraction enabled and have adjusted z-hop at retraction from zero to .4mm in .1mm increments with no change. What I notice is that it only z-hops on retraction, but there seems to be no retraction while it prints the raft. any help or setting I should try would be appreciated. on a side note it used to also do this over large areas of support but i believe that has been fixed by adding any amount of z-hop.

I have a Raise 3D Pro 2, printing abs & hips 1.75mm, using IdeaMaker software.

Thank you.
Attachments
right extruder.JPG
Raise 3d Pro 2, IdeaMaker

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Nozzle drags on raft

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Would you like to double confirm the distance between nozzle and build surface first to make sure the nozzle starts printing at a proper height?
And what temperature did you set for heated bed?

Kfleck

Postby Kfleck » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks for the quick response Vicky. I checked the build plate to nozzle gap on Monday 9/24 with the provided feeler gauge, at 0.2mm, The heated bed is set at 100C on the cooling tab. I can re-confirm the bed height and level next week when I get back to printing abs and hips. Today i'm printing TPE gaskets directly on the build plate with no raft. Sorry for the slow/delayed response time on my end.

Kfleck

Postby Kfleck » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I have double confirmed that the bed is at .2mm in 5 different spots on the bed.
I have a theory that the first layer of the raft is over extruding. the setting is at 100%
I have not stopped a print yet to measure first layer height, but I have measured a completed raft and it appears to be coming out at .4mm+ first layer. Here is a pic of my first layer settings.
layer.JPG

Thanks Kfleck

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 pm

The completed Raft should have 5 layers by default, whose total thickness will be around 2mm.
Would you like to try to adjust Z offset of the whole print plate to be a little further and compare the result?

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Check temperature. Try lowering down. Or set right cooling layers temps steps. I was fighting with it with TPC. I was set bed to 110 C. But even after that on blue tape is very hard to get right adhesion all time... and dragging also happens.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Do you also meet Raft up issue caused be nozzle drag?
Nozzle drags on Raft is common, as there is no retraction point on Raft to trigger Z hop. But if Raft keeps on being pull up by nozzle, it is not common.
The possible reasons might be:
Wrong Z Offset: Too close cause nozzle drag. Too far cause poor adhesion.
Overspeed First Layer of Raft: 8mm/s by default
Under-extrusion
Cold Bed cause poor adhesion
Dirty Build Surface cause poor adhesion

Kfleck

Postby Kfleck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Ok, I will try lowering the bed a hair and turning the bed temp up to 110°. It makes quite a racket when it drags across the first layer of the raft.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 am

I think it is still the software issue. Maybe this can cure it Raise team: Avoid supports when traveling. Added setting to avoid supports when performing travel moves. This minimizes the risk of the print head hitting support material, improving print reliability.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 pm

I have noticed the same problem both on the raft and solid fill surfaces. The nozzle will drag right across the surface regardless of the settings I am using. Is there a way that we can ensure that ALL non-extruding travel executes a retraction and z-hop?

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Or the issue is warped bed... it can be also...

Kfleck

Postby Kfleck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 pm

I have moved the bed from .2mm to .279mm and raised the temp to 110°C. This has made no noticeable change to the dragging. I have yet to try to reduce the "first layer flowrate". My first layer is definitely taller than the specified .3mm. I have been arranging the tower and parts to minimize the amount of drag.
Thank you all for the replies.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 am

I have noticed the same thing. I wish there was a way to make it lower the bed a tad bit when traveling to the next location to start printing again.

Return to “Printing Settings”