Polymaker PC-Max with PolySupport

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
crimsonyoshi

Polymaker PC-Max with PolySupport

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Hey all,

Medium range lurker, first time poster, so please go easy on me!

I joined the Raise3D family back in April of this year with a Pro2 Plus printer. Since then, I've been working on printing using polycarbonate and Polysupport (all from PolyMaker) right off the bat. I've definitely browsed through a bunch of older threads in here and found some tips, tricks and hints to get success with these two materials together. I'll echo some earlier commentary and share what I've found with the hope of also learning more from others as I'm not quite at 100% with these two materials - maybe 98%.

Standard stuff first - printer model is listed above, and I'm still using the original buildTak surface included with the printer. Basic print settings are as follows:

PC-Max nozzle temperature set to 260ºC
PolySupport nozzle set to 235ºC
Build plate temperature (typically) set to 100ºC though I'm in the process of trying out 60ºC now.

PC-Max using default settings included with the associated dropdown menu item, but I've slowed the movement to 50mm/s (down from 60mm/s).
Polysupport set to 50mm/s (though I'm going to experiment with 30mm/s) and flow rate set to 85%.

I'm using a brim of 10 layers and a raft of 2 initial and 2 final layers of PolySupport. Infill densities between 15-50% of PC-Max and shell count of 3-4. I've also got a vertical wipe wall with 2 ring layers.

So far with the above settings, I'm able to print any PC-Max pieces with a footprint diameter of about 3-4" and smaller with no problems. There's minimal globbing on the nozzle, and very little intermix of the material types (and if there is, it's typically in the infill of the PC-Max). The support material peels off super easy at room temperature when the print is done, and you've got a solid polycarbonate piece!

The only area I'm still having trouble in is with prints that require a raft greater than 3-4" in diameter. For whatever reason part of the Polysupport raft is detaching from the build plate and curling upwards about 2-4 hours into a print. This eventually causes the whole model to be thrown off the build plate by the nozzles soon after.

Disclaimer first - I was using Magigoo with my smaller surface areas to help detach the Polysupport raft from the build plate and does that stuff ever work well! I have wiped the surface off with a paper towel and water multiple times since then.

There's not great adhesion to the first Polysupport layer on the plate when the raft diameter is larger than 4", and yes, I've checked that the plate is heating evenly (it appears to be). It may also be due to my spool being exposed to ambient air for about 6 weeks now (thereby absorbing a bunch of humidity). I'll be trying a new spool as my next step.

If anyone has any other ideas or observations for getting Polysupport to stick to a build plate better (other than a glue stick, that's on my list to eventually try down the road too), I'm all ears!

EDIT: the print bed was slightly too far away from the nozzle. Moving those slightly closer fixed the adhesion problem!

-John

A6y_N0rma1

Re: Polymaker PC-Max with PolySupport

Postby A6y_N0rma1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm having a somewhat related (but different) problem. I'm printing strictly with PC-Max and don't seem to have issues with some smaller prints I did. Now, my raft is about 3"x5". Nozzle 260C, bed 60C. First I was having the part detach from the raft when about 1/8-1/4" tall, so I decreased my first layer speed which seemed to solve the issue. However, now the support structure is doing the same, separating at about the same height. I don't know if the raft prints with the same speeds as your specified first layer prints, but am guessing it does. I've wasted alot of PC-Max and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 pm

I tried printing with only PC-Max once, and pretty well destroyed my Buildtak surface when removing it after the print was done. I'm terrified to print without a Polysupport raft with PC-Max parts now!

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Double post as I can't modify my earlier one yet... When I printed with straight PC-Max, I didn't have layer separation. The only differences I had from the info you've said is I had the print head at 265, and the bed temp set to 100-110.

I've got two first layer raft levels and two solid levels (keep in mind I'm using PolySupport now). Raft speed is set to 5mm/sec. It's slow, but I don't seem to have any separation issues now.

Return to “Printing Settings”