Thick, Solid PLA Prints are Lifting

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
bajud

Thick, Solid PLA Prints are Lifting

Postby bajud » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Hello! I'm printing 50mm x 100mm x 16mm PLA with 80%. I need the fill because I want the material to be strong enough for supporting some small impacts. The edges are lifting up badly.

Heatbed is set to 60C and extruder is at 210C.

Thanks,
Bajud

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Thick, Solid PLA Prints are Lifting

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Did you use Raft for your print?
Have you double confirm the Z offset for the extruder you are printing with your part with feeler gauge? Or try to adjust it to be a little closer to see whether it helps or not?

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 am

Hi Bajud,

I print straight on to the glass bed, I found the build tak to be rubbish so I dont use it.

Next check your z layer height to make sure it is the right distance from the plate. After that, print the first layer really slow, like 8 -12 mm/s making sure it gets a very good adhesion to the bed.

I am also getting good results with the PLA that I manufacture with the build plate at 69c and temp for a 0.4mm nozzle between 195 and 200c. Try that and see how you go.

Regards,

Brad

tja

Postby tja » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 am

Most filament types will lift at the corners, when you try and print largish, solid objects, in my experience. Having square corners will exacerbate the situation, but rounded corners aren't a total cure.
To stop warping/lifting you need to get really good first layer adhesion, so Z height and first layer thickness need to be spot on. Bed temperature could go a little higher, try +5 degree steps. Fit the covers over the bottom of the fans to stop the forced cooling effect and close the door.
If you don't mind the compromised surface finish you get when using a raft, then that's a good option. Also you can add 'mouse-ears' to the part. These are extra pads that you place around the part, just to hold the part down to the bed while it's printing, which you trim off afterwards

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:03 am

I have the same issue with thin details. Sometimes I was inject-using a little bit of action after pausing to glue parts together. This is the hardcore option but works great...

bajud

Postby bajud » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked this site in a while. I stopped printing with 100% infill (Raise3D filament). I have tried adding cylinder parts on corners that would share raft with the main part, I have tried lifting the part few mm away from the bed, and combinations of both but nothing worked. I think with 100% infill, when the material shrinks, something will get pulled from the part. I haven't tried higher bed temperature...

Return to “Printing Settings”