Problems with Print quality ABS

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
blue.hills

Problems with Print quality ABS

Postby blue.hills » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:19 am

Hi,
I have been printing the same part and gcode for some time. The most recent time printing this part and also subsequent times after I have been having an issue with the quality of the prints. Do I have a printer part failing, how can I diagnose this? I have Bondtech extruding mechanism and Hatchbox 1.75mm ABS plastic (both of which were unchanged variables when my print quality had been great). I am really confused, see attached pictures.

Again thanks for any help, I just need to diagnose this.
Attachments
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Problems with Print quality ABS

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Would you like to share the .data file here so that we can see your print settings?
BTW, normally we will put the fan bottom cover on when printing high temperature filament.

blue.hills

Postby blue.hills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi, by the .data file do you mean the .Gcode? And I guess ABS wouldn't count as high temperature filament? The main confusing thing to me is the fact I've used the printer in this exact configuration in the past with no issue, same .Gcode

The fact the only changed variable is runtime makes me suspect some component is worn down or not functioning correctly now.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:48 am

I mean .data file which is created together with .gcode file with complete slicing. It can show print settings.
ABS is a kind of high temperature filament, as it has high shrinkage rate due to temperature.

blue.hills

Postby blue.hills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Okay, I can work to get that file. But it seems to me this is clearly a printer wearing issue, since I've been using the same code since day one (back when I had no issues printing)

blue.hills

Postby blue.hills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Okay the .gcode has been stored only locally on the printer. I went ahead and made new .gcode and a .data file and have to upload them from my laptop. I will know in 18 hours the result of printing this code and will post pictures. This forum is not letting me upload with the file extensions so I will .zip the data file (says gcode too big to upload though). It looks like I compressed the gcode small enough with 7zip though to upload too!
Attachments
1xCupholder (high rez)GCODE.7z
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
1xCupholder (high rez)DATA.zip
(28.51 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

blue.hills

Postby blue.hills » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Printed with that new generated Gcode, and still have the same issue with quality. But going to have to redo that code I sent already since it printed on a raft this time and I can't have that.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 am

From the settings you shared, I see that you are using the default High Quality ABS settings.
Have you ever tried printing with lower nozzle temperature to compare the results?

blue.hills

Postby blue.hills » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 am

Yes, the temp makes no difference and eventually makes it worse at the layer adhesion etc drop off immediately. Can I please have help actually figuring out what has worn in my machine?? The problem is not a setting issue, I have never had a problem like this in any variance of settings before but now have been using the printer for quite some time now. I am positive something is worn or needs to be replaced on the printer itself, how can I investigate the cause?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:07 am

The issue looks like due to temperature based on your pictures, as there has no obvious mechanical issue on your model, such as shifting, deformed.
Please clean the nozzle and hotend before starting another print. From the pictures you shared, your hotend looks really directly covered with filament. If you have another new spool of this filament on hand, I would suggest test with higher layer height, such as 0.15mm for standard settings and lower printing speed.
And meanwhile, confirm the nozzle temperature on screen, which it changes a lot during printing. If it changes a lot, you may need to tune PID or something wrong with temperature sensor or heating components.
BTW, how long have you used this current hotend? Does this issue happen at the beginning or newly appeared?

ZED

Postby ZED » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm having a similar issue. Did you ever figure out how to improve this? I've tried reducing temperature by a couple degrees and increasing/decreasing retraction by 0.1mm without improvement. If this is a different issue from yours or does anyone else have advice?

Return to “Printing Settings”