ABS prints with bumps

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Shelton

ABS prints with bumps

Postby Shelton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:09 am

I'm using Raise ABS Premium filament black. Factory printing profile for ABS. Both covers closed. Is almost ok, but, yes but I have some issues with it. This is a high element but no other, the machine is printing tower style object only.

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Only in top section bottom is plain...

Item view:
Zrzut ekranu 2018-08-01 o 12.08.34.png

Jetguy

Re: ABS prints with bumps

Postby Jetguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:11 am

In this rare case, has nothing to do with ABS as a material, this appears to be a slicing or setting issue that keeps coming up in general.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9902

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:24 pm

While on the topic of ABS, this is what moisture absorbed in the filament looks like and that is definitely not your issue compared to the picture you provided. Again, here is what ABS that has absorbed moisture from the air looks like. If it's moisture based, you will get steam when the extruder heats the plastic and it also makes a popping sound as the bubbles of steam explode out of the filament leaving holes. Be sure to click on the individual pictures to zoom in and you can see the obvious results of moisture.
ABS moisture example.jpg
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
Attachments
moistureABS.jpg

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 pm

Interesting tip. Thank you. This is possible. Here humidity value right now 80%...and 25 C of temperature...

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Shelton wrote:Interesting tip. Thank you. This is possible. Here humidity value right now 80%...and 25 C of temperature...

Again, no, I do not think humidity is the answer for your specific print. I just wanted you to understand what that error (moisture in filament) is different from the error you have which appears to be gcode path based (how the print file told the printer to move).

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Hmm, ok I understand. So I need to repair the G-code file. It can be. Yes. You have right this file has error warning and auto repair doesn't work with it... so I need to use other software to solve this problem like meshmixer or meshalb...

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Shelton wrote:Hmm, ok I understand. So I need to repair the G-code file. It can be. Yes. You have right this file has error warning and auto repair doesn't work with it... so I need to use other software to solve this problem like meshmixer or meshalb...

Yes, and no. You don't really repair gcode. You can correct mistakes in an STL that leaves geometry that breaks the standard 3D printing rules for slicing and proper interpretation of shells and infill, and that then in turn allows the slicer to produce more correct gcode to match what you intended.

And/or, you can adjust some slicer settings to attempt to better interpret your model and reduce the errors and spurious gcode path moves to give you a better optimized print. Example would be the known interaction of this setting. Both Gap Fill and Thin wall have been seen to interact and create spurious paths in some conditions. Test both ways, checked and unchecked. Preview the gcode closely in the problem areas of your print.
Gap filling and thin wall Ideamaker.jpg

Below is additional 3D printing information, but I feel somewhat relevant to beginners trying to figure this all out.

It's one way path. STL is the model. The slicer reads the model and by both the model STL being correctly formed and conforming to rules, along with the settings, this in turn produces gcode path. Then your printer follows the gcode.
You cannot reverse the process. You cannot take an gcode file, fix or change or repair it and convert back to an STL file model.

STL is like a 3D coloring book with drawings of "color inside the lines"
Gcode is a step by step path to use a pen or marker to "color inside the lines"
Since the gcode path is already inside the lines (literally, it's inside the line because it represents the center of the nozzle, not the edge, and then also accounts for extrusion width as wide or wider than the nozzle), you begin to make assumptions of where the actual outside line would be (have to know the slicing parameters used to create the gcode- extrusion width, height) and even then, the resulting path is not the original STL. Slopes become a stair case, curves and other details are limited by extrusion nozzle diameter, on and on.

You lose detail in every step of the process from original CAD, to export to STL (losses in resolution and details), then slicing interprets the STL and creates gcode that attempts to fill in on the inside of the logical STL walls, then your printer mechanically attempts to follow the gcode and introduces it's own mechanical errors compared to the gcode.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Gap filling option cures it. I was checking G-code preview from IdeaMaker... Thanks again. You are highly skilled pro mate. The cold beer is yours. In my language, we say Na zdrowie!

Return to “Printing Settings”