Edit support in slicing template?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
xredoctober

Edit support in slicing template?

Postby xredoctober » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

I'm trying to figure out how to add or delete the supports that are generated when choosing a slicing template. Is this possible? The supports made by the templates are so much better in quality than the ones made by the manual support button.

I used the same pillar size and overhang angle for both yet the manual supports that get generated are very crude..

(manual supports)

(template generated support)

I need to keep the supports highlighted in green and delete the red, is there some setting I'm missing when going into the advanced settings for the slicing template that will allow me to do this?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Edit support in slicing template?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 am

I'm so sorry, but you cannot edit the support generating section manually with auto support.

BTW, I'm more curious about the reason why the manual support does not work well for you.
You were using Create Auto Supports with Manual Support enabled, right? But the front side don't create a continuous support structure for you, which makes you feel the result is crude?

If I misundertand anything, please feel free to correct me.

xredoctober

Postby xredoctober » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:BTW, I'm more curious about the reason why the manual support does not work well for you.
You were using Create Auto Supports with Manual Support enabled, right? But the front side don't create a continuous support structure for you, which makes you feel the result is crude?

If I misundertand anything, please feel free to correct me.

Yes, it does not create continuous support the same way the support generated from the slicing templates is created.

Here are screenshots of my settings..
(slice template)
(manual)

Is there any chance you will be able to add or remove support structures in a new version of ideamaker in the future? That would be an amazing feature if you could delete specific rafts.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

The pillar size set under Advanced will only take effect when the support type being set to be Pillar type. The Manual support is also the same type as Pillar type. If you set support type to be Pillar under Advanced, you should can get the same result as Manual support with the same settings

If possible, may I ask your .stl file to take a look when the pillar type cannot generate continuous support structure?

BTW, why do you want to remove the supports in the middle. There has no overhang structure in the middle or the overhang angle is not such big which needs supports?

xredoctober

Postby xredoctober » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The pillar size set under Advanced will only take effect when the support type being set to be Pillar type. The Manual support is also the same type as Pillar type. If you set support type to be Pillar under Advanced, you should can get the same result as Manual support with the same settings

If possible, may I ask your .stl file to take a look when the pillar type cannot generate continuous support structure?

BTW, why do you want to remove the supports in the middle. There has no overhang structure in the middle or the overhang angle is not such big which needs supports?

I switched it to Pillar and this is the result..

So now its the same as manual with incomplete support. I then tried setting the overhang angle to 40 degrees and got this..

The reason why I wish to remove support from the middle is because the overhang is not big enough for any concern of support. Are you able to answer my question about the ideamaker feature of editing support attached to specific rafts?

Also why does manual support only generate pillar type of support when the slicing template has the options for normal and pillar?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 am

Pillar is the type developed together with Manual Support which generates supports one by one as a pillar.
The Normal type support was the old support type before we developed Manual Support which generates supports layer by layer. Since it can only be created one layer after another layer, it needs to wait the model being sliced to be layers first. So it can only be generated during slicing.

Does "editing support attached to specific rafts" mean that you want to remove or add support when you checking preview result after the model has been already sliced?
The answer is no.
After the preview result being created, the model has already been transferred from a STL file with structure information to a Gcode file with only moving paths. So the only way to edit support structure is at the Manual Support adjusting step which haven't slice the model with structure information to be moving path yet.

Return to “Printing Settings”