Transform dual nozzle to single nozzle

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
Mecha_Monster

Transform dual nozzle to single nozzle

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Hello,

What are the components that I have to get in order to transform a N2 dual nozzle to a single nozzle?. It would be useful to have a guide to go one way or the other.

Thanks,

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Transform dual nozzle to single nozzle

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:42 am

There includes one single extruder, one single extruder cover, one model cooling fan and fan duct and some screws and nuts.

May I ask the reason why you want to transform dual to single?
If the weight is bothering you, you can remove the right motor.
If the right nozzle's height is bothering you, you can remove the right hotend.
If you need better cooling, you can remove the right hotend and its fan. And order a single model cooling fan.

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks Vicky,
My second nozzle is working fine, but I'm not gonna use it in the near future. In the meantime I want to take advantage of a second fan cooling my prints.
Can you advice of the procedure to remove the right hotend and installing the single-model cooling fan?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:06 am

1. Remove the right fan and fan shroud.
hotend disassemble-1.png

2. Remove the right hotend by unscrewing the two fix screws on it.
hotend disassemble-2.png

3. Unplug the fan wire and thermocouple and heating rod of right hotend from the extruder board.
Heating Rod Wiring (1).png
Thermocouple Wiring (2).png

Fan Slot.png

4. Install the downward fan and fan shroud.
SIngle Extruder Fans.jpg

5. Plug the fan cable.

jverz

Postby jverz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

I found this thread while looking for an answer to an unrelated problem with a result that people following the above instructions will likely encounter.

Yesterday, the throat on my left hot end snapped and I had to cannibalize the right hot end to get back up and running. I removed the entire right hotend assembly from the printer, much like as you described above. However, when I restarted the printer I got a MAXTEMP error and could only proceed into safe mode. Despite changing the settings on the printer to host one hotend, I could not get around this error and was forced to wire the right thermocoupler back into the board and then stuff it into the main wiring harness to keep it out of the way.

Could the next iteration of the firmware please remove the second temperature check from the boot sequence when we're configured for one hot end? Or, is there currently a way around this that I've overlooked?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 am

Even you have choose 1 extruder with dual firmware, you need to install the second thermocouple to detect whether the temperature is within the correct printing range.
If you don't want to use the second extruder any more, you can flash single extruder firmware download from our website.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Could the next iteration of the firmware please remove the second temperature check from the boot sequence when we're configured for one hot end? Or, is there currently a way around this that I've overlooked?

First, there are 2 controls boards and firmware running on this system that talk to each other.
The thermocouples and really, all the hardware of the printer, attach to the motion control board that run the Marlin firmware.
As such, when you changed your hardware configuration (removed the thermocouple), what you did not do is change the Marlin motion control board firmware. Again, in general, if you change the hardware, this is the board and firmware that also needs changed to match your hardware.

The front panel LCD AKA Raise Touch, is just a tiny computer talking over USB to the main control motion board. So when you change that setting on the LCD display from 2 to 1 extruders all that does is change the LCD display to a single extruder menu system and stops showing the extra buttons and temp reports for the second display. That's why it doesn't remove the safety detection because the Marlin motion control board firmware actually boots and turns on before this front panel computer ever even starts up. Your motion board (and Marlin firmware) is sending a safety error message nearly the instant you turn on the machine. This is actually a good thing and is for your safety.

I've covered the how and and what of firmware in a detailed post here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1652#p13896

Again, the problem is, you need to specifically flash a single extruder version of the Marlin motion control firmware if you remove the second thermocouple. Halfway down on the downloads page https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download
Single version firmware.jpg

Return to “Others”