Switching from DaVinci 1.1 Plus

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
ddellant

Switching from DaVinci 1.1 Plus

Postby ddellant » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am

Hello,

I am in the market for a new printer after owning the Da Vinci 1.1 Plus for two years. The machine is a headache and the support is a nightmare. I was looking through the recommendations from thingiverse and this line of printers came up and sparked my interest. I has a few questions about it.

Layer heights: What are the possible layer heights? I am aware these printers can print very fine prints, but can they print at higher heights (like a .4mm height)?

Print Speed: How fast does the extruder move? Are the prints being made in reasonable times?

Bed leveling: a big problem on the davinci, I seem to see a few reviews mentioning difficulty in bed leveling. Has this improved?

Third Party filament: It sounds like these printers allow third party filaments, has anyone seen good results using Inland filaments?

Support: This is a big one. The support at XYZ was awful, their translations into English were enough to drive me crazy. Their support tips were rhetorical. How is the Raise3D support?

Student Discount? I am an Engineering student, are there any student discounts on these printers?
Any help is appreciated. :D

Jetguy

Re: Switching from DaVinci 1.1 Plus

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Layer heights: What are the possible layer heights? I am aware these printers can print very fine prints, but can they print at higher heights (like a .4mm height)?

Answer: IF you also follow the rule and install a larger nozzle size, then you can follow the rule of 1/2 to 3/4 nozzle size is good viable layer height. If you want a 0.4mm layer, printing that with a 0.4mm nozzle gives you minimal layer to layer bonds because you are stacking 0.4mm perfectly round threads. Again, to get back into the optimal layer height to nozzle size rule, you need a 0.6mm to 0.8mm (Both options sold in the store https://www.raise3d.com/collections/acc ... 0-6-0-8-mm) to maintain proper ratio.

I seem to see a few reviews mentioning difficulty in bed leveling. Has this improved
Yes and no. Nothing has changed on the printer in the last year as far as the actual bed leveling hardware. The initial kickstarter units did have a fault and again, that was fixed in production and has been for some time. As such, the REAL problem is that you are marketed to as not needing to level ever. That's what sets people up for frustration, support is saying no need to level. Once leveled, I have not touched mine for months at a time so yes, it hold leveling well. Also, if you have heavy dual stock extruders and a N2 or N2 Plus, yes, gravity is not your friend and yes, your nozzle will be closer in the center of the bed area and further away at the edges. This means you have to find a compromise where it's too close but not scraping in the center and not too much of a gap at the edges. Again, this is SPECIFIC to the dual extruder models because the shear weight of the dual extruder system coupled with the large build area of the N2 and N2 Plus and the resulting length of the rods the extruder rides on results in the nozzle being slightly lower in the center.
This is why single extruder and/or recent Bondtech and other lightweight feeder upgrades are used by many of us here.
You don't have to upgrade, I'm just telling you why some of us do and why single extruder can reduce some of this nozzle closer in center problem some experience.
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Prints are made in reasonable times, average rates are easily visible in Ideamaker.
The fast profile is what I use 99% of all prints I ever make. You can try faster if you want, but again, avoid going faster with a dual extruder model.
Attachments
Print speeds Fast profile.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pm

My notes on leveling viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1564&p=13777&hilit=dial+indicator#p13777

Again, read that thread, read another user's comments too (NewbPilot) and his reaction to what I said.

Jetguy wrote:
Vicky, Being dead honest, I think the problem is not that bed leveling has to be done, it's the expectation and sales pitch that it doesn't have to be done. Just basic common sense here. These printers are large and heavy. They get shipped across the world and while they are strong and well built, the journey is sure to jostle and stress the system.

After owning a N1 and a wanhao duplicator i3 for almost a year, I'm not put off by needing to level the bed. Like you said, it's more expecting i dont need to, and everything i see on the topic cautioning me to call tech support. As I understand it, it's a 15-30 minute process of fine tuning some screws until it's good. I just think there should be adequate documentation on the site, complete with videos.

Also, I posted in that same thread 2 videos I made of how I do it using a dial indicator.
You do not have to use a dial indicator, but if you use this method, it makes visualizing and adjusting the bed to be perfect. You could more or less do the same thing using paper or feeler gauges. Also note, you can use the same dial indicator on the smaller N1 printer, I do too but the adjustment procedure is specific to that printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8OdPosrMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-vg2UllhA
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Third Party filament: It sounds like these printers allow third party filaments, has anyone seen good results using Inland filaments?

search.php?keywords=inland&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Bottom line answer: Yes, there are quite few folks using Inland specifically and they are posting and bragging about print results.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm

It's not fair for me to address your other two questions as I am providing a fair amount of support and instructions myself in this forum.
I do not work for Raise 3D, however, I am a fan of the company and machines. That said, just poke around here in the forum, look at the support pages, make your own assessment and maybe other user will chime in on personal feeling about how they feel they were and are supported.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/wiki
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/faq
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/touchscre ... ease-notes

Only sales can answer this question.
Student Discount? I am an Engineering student, are there any student discounts on these printers?

Brandon

Postby Brandon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm

We have an active support community as well as a dedicated support system. We are here to help.

Return to “Others”