Heat Creep Issue?

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
Ianew

Heat Creep Issue?

Postby Ianew » Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 pm

I’m new to 3D printing and I got my N2+ back mid-April. Aside from errors made due to me learning how to print, it has worked beautifully. My problems started happening recently when I ran out of the premium filament that came with the machine, which I think is just a coincidence.

I ordered a few different ‘colorful’ PLA spools from Raise3D. With both the orange and the gold PLA it wrapped around the extruder gear at about the same point in the print as you can see in the picture below.

IMG_20170516_064317.jpg
Filament wrapped around extruder gear

I also tried just printing from the right extruder and while it didn’t wrap around the extruder gear, it did appear to soften enough that the gear wasn’t getting a grip on it anymore. The cold end also felt warmer than I remembered it being in the past so I was definitely thinking heat creep was my problem.

For the hell of it I also had some Hatchbox ABS and tried it thinking it might be able to handle the higher temp in the cold end. While it didn’t wrap around the extruder gear, it did jam in the way that I could push on the filament and it would start printing again. However, at this point the cold end was hot enough to burn me.

What can I do to fix this?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Heat Creep Issue?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am

Please check whether the nozzle cooling fan is working properly, keeping blowing cooling air to the heat sink around throat tube above heating block. It should be constant on for coldend cooling. Even during printing, it should not be too hot to touch with your fingers.

And please also check the voltage of the extrude motors.
Adjust voltage of A4988.pdf
(737.97 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

walshlg

Re: Heat Creep Issue?

Postby walshlg » Tue May 23, 2017 2:33 pm

One question from the pictures - did the filament get wedged behind the knurled drive gear?

I also suggest taking off the nozzle while investigating to isolate any problem in the cold end drive ( FWIW I've had drive problems after an overnight airprint - turns out the jam was all the way up in the isolation tube.)

Return to “Others”