Faulty Stepper Motor?

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
slf riteous

Faulty Stepper Motor?

Postby slf riteous » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 pm

I have had my N2 for 5 days now and have been experiencing issues with my X-axis. The issue is most prevalent during homing and at the start of a print (https://youtu.be/QJ71lpR-YAk). During the print, with short X movements there is clicking and with long X movements there is vibration and groaning.

I have run through the alignment procedure and have no issues moving the print head around by hand. With the stepper motors disabled, movement is smooth in both X and Y with no binding. I have also switched the stepper drivers, but the issue remained in the X axis.

Is this a faulty stepper motor?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Faulty Stepper Motor?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:17 am

Have you ever checked with this list?
X and Y axis check list.pdf
(205.63 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Is there any abnormal on your machine about the parts mentioned inside this, too loose or too tight? Especially the sliding block, the screws, the belt and pulleys.

slf riteous

Postby slf riteous » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:25 am

Vicky,

Thanks for the reply. I haf checked all those points when I ran through the alignment proceedure. I believe I discovered the issue though. There are sets screws on each sliding block that hold the linear bearings in place. I hadn't noticed these prior, but when I loosened each about a half turn, that seemed to solve all my issues. I think they had just been tightened too much.

I'm glad it was a simple fix!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 am

Do you mean the set screws at the side of sliding blocks? Each one has one?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:02 pm

No, stepper motors ONLY make rated torque when the stepper driver properly controls the current to it.
There is a fault in your stepper driver electronics or circuitry- not the motor itself. Stepper motors are nothing more than 2 non-moving coils of wire and a permanent magnet rotor. Again, if it turns smoothly no load, then the motor and basic wiring is correct, this is a failure of the stepper driver itself to provide correct current for the motor. Right here is someone with the same issue in the CNC forums http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=8262.0

They said the same thing- PSU or stepper driver (since this is some unknown electronics combo you have failed to describe in your question) but it's NOT the stepper motor fault.

Return to “Others”