Brittle filament tips ?

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
lami3d

Brittle filament tips ?

Postby lami3d » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello,

i've noticed that some filaments are very brittle (laywood, laybrick, colorfabb stellfill*) : they break when little constraints are applied on them when it unwounds... so, it's impossible to run long prints

[*just for the steelfill, if anyone has already test it, can you confirm it is brittle (maybe i had a bad spool?) because bronzefill is not brittle and i didn't find anything on internet]

i try to hold the spool (for steelfill... for the lay3d ones, it's even more difficult due to the fact that there's no spool with the filament :roll: ) above the printer and unwound the spool in the right sense to prevent from constraint but every 30 minutes, it breaks and i have to hold the end of the filament and put it in the extruder just after the previous one to ensure continuity (4 times i had to do that now on a 2h print) .

Just the fact that the filament has to unfold a little bit to enter the extruder (because it's packaged in roll), it breaks.

Do you have any tips to avoid this issue ?

Tx for your help.

Jetguy

Re: Brittle filament tips ?

Postby Jetguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 pm

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Tx jetguy

so, i'm going to try to dry them !

These filament were new and well packaged with desicant (it doesn't mean that they are good so...)
I thought i could have had this issue with bamboofill and woodfill but not with metal/PLA filament...
My (short) prints are perfect and i thought that these prints would have been dirty if filament has absorbed water in the air...
It breaks like it's already very dry.
So, i didn't think i have to dry these ones. I think that it can help to soften the filament also and that will help...
I will tell you

Tx again

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Sometimes you have to give up and throw it away. I didn't, filament broke, sat cooking in hotend all night. COMPLETE isolation tube jam. 2 hour complete hotend tear down to fix and just hope you don't break your isolation tube at the heatbreak!

Return to “Others”